Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Application Files

Hi, I would like to use Migration Assistant to load up a Time Machine Backup on a new Mac. However, I want to retain my user files but not my applications. So the question is: If I deselect Applications in Migration Assistant, will the application files (e.g. Application Support in the User Library) still carry over? If yes, is there any way I can avoid that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 2:16 AM

Migration from Older version of macOS to a Virginal and Pristine Installation of Monterey can badly pollute the New Computer.

This can also bring over whatever issues / problems existed on the Older Version of macOS to the new Apple Computer.

Add to this, migrating from Intel Based Apple Computer to Apple Silicon M1 Computer should be reason enough to be very cautious.

Applications that work in older versions of macOS do not automatically translate as functioning on Monterey and especially on the Apple Silicon computer.

IMHO - it is better to install the Applications Directly from the Developersof the Applications - predicated on the user verifying the Applications as M1 Apple Silicon and Monterey compatible.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 2:16 AM in response to austinato

Migration from Older version of macOS to a Virginal and Pristine Installation of Monterey can badly pollute the New Computer.

This can also bring over whatever issues / problems existed on the Older Version of macOS to the new Apple Computer.

Add to this, migrating from Intel Based Apple Computer to Apple Silicon M1 Computer should be reason enough to be very cautious.

Applications that work in older versions of macOS do not automatically translate as functioning on Monterey and especially on the Apple Silicon computer.

IMHO - it is better to install the Applications Directly from the Developersof the Applications - predicated on the user verifying the Applications as M1 Apple Silicon and Monterey compatible.

Migration Assistant Application Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.