Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old ipad funcionality

I have come into possession of a perfect condition ipad first generation. It is running iOS 5.1.1. I would hope to update the ios to whatever is the latest OS it will run and re-initialize the device in order to give it to a friend. Apple tech support ran out of options to help me. Anyone with any ideas, I would be grateful... At very lease I would want to reinitialize it for a new user . . . thanks for any help!

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:39 AM

The iPad1 is obsolete. You will not find any compatible Apps in the Apple App Store; if the iPad is reset, any Apps already installed will be lost.

The iPad1 cannot be updated beyond iOS 5.1.1 - this being the final version of iOS for the original iPad.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.2.1.

Regardless of the iPad model, if you are preparing the iPad for a new user - or for disposal - you should follow this process:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Neil Kaplan1

The iPad1 is obsolete. You will not find any compatible Apps in the Apple App Store; if the iPad is reset, any Apps already installed will be lost.

The iPad1 cannot be updated beyond iOS 5.1.1 - this being the final version of iOS for the original iPad.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.2.1.

Regardless of the iPad model, if you are preparing the iPad for a new user - or for disposal - you should follow this process:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

old ipad funcionality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.