My iPad is updated at 15.7 and this point I’m trying to update it to a current iOS 16.3 so it will be compatible. They had to call and ask me when the last update was Yesterday.

When I was having problems in the past Apple told me that this iPad ( Air pad 2) is vintage but can be updated to iOS 16.3 but I only have an iPhone which is iOS 16.3 and it can’t boot it from the phone when my husband took it to Best Buy they said it couldn’t be done because the iPad is too old? When I got the new phone in September I was able to sync them that’s all I would like to do now but I can’t. This happened after the new, or rather updated iPhone X was found defective and was taken in for repair shortly after I got it back from repair I found that they were no longer Linkable? Any ideas?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 4:21 PM

The iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.5 - but is not capable of update to iPadOS 16.x as the Air2 CPU and RAM configuration cannot support iPadOS 16.

Otherwise, all Apple Apps and services are available to all models that support iOS/iPadOS 15.x or later. You should have no difficulty using iPad or iPhone with either of these major versions.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi+Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi+Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.5

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.4.1

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 4:21 PM in response to Wellingtongreen

The iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.5 - but is not capable of update to iPadOS 16.x as the Air2 CPU and RAM configuration cannot support iPadOS 16.

Otherwise, all Apple Apps and services are available to all models that support iOS/iPadOS 15.x or later. You should have no difficulty using iPad or iPhone with either of these major versions.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi+Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi+Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.7.5

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 16.4.1

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

My iPad is updated at 15.7 and this point I’m trying to update it to a current iOS 16.3 so it will be compatible. They had to call and ask me when the last update was Yesterday.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.