Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing my music from an exxternal hard drive through itunes

How do I persuade itunes to get and play my music from my external hard drive where it is stored?

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:13 PM

If the whole library is on the external drive then press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes, then use the Choose Library... option to open the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder on it.

If for some reason you only have the media and not the database see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for further background.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 12:13 PM in response to stevenfromnormal

If the whole library is on the external drive then press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes, then use the Choose Library... option to open the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder on it.

If for some reason you only have the media and not the database see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for further background.

tt2

Playing my music from an exxternal hard drive through itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.