Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tax refund

I plan to buy a MacBook Pro in Berlin and I'm dual citizen of Serbia (non-EU) and Hungary (EU) and I was trying to get the answer can I get the VAT back and saw bunch of stupid answers and ways of thinking, even comparing examples from USA on some other post and decided to ask again.

I saw a bunch of examples of people from non EU buying stuff in EU and getting VAT back over GlobalBlue and Customs (I also did that couple of times, but not with Apple) but I'm not sure does Apple cooperates with them? I also saw Apple store lists on their (GlobalBlue)site...

Additional 15-20% off is not much but makes the difference if you can buy better MacBook Pro :D

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 12:20 AM

Okay, so I also wanted this question answered so I just called the Apple Store in Munich (I would assume it is the same in other large German cities, but again worth giving a call), oh and I spoke with the lady in English:

• They do offer Tax free shopping (they use GlobalBlue service)
  • They generally only carry German keyboard configurations (I asked this as I've bought MacBooks in Japan before and they had some higher end models with US keyboards), they occasionally have iPad keyboards in English (I assume US keyboards)

Another tip (and again worth checking by contacting them) if you are looking for a custom configuration is to contact an Apple Reseller and see if they can order you a custom machine and also do the tax free. I used to do this in Hong Kong many years ago before Apple stores existed, where I'd order ahead and then pickup the custom machine (you might have to pay a deposit or even in full ahead).

Worth also pointing out that if you are looking for a different RAM/SSD configuration (but happy with a German keyboard) that Apple Stores often carry higher end configurations in stock, oh and their online stock system shows stocks only above a certain level.

Hope this is helpful (and thanks for prompting me to make the call!).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 12:20 AM in response to damirX86

Okay, so I also wanted this question answered so I just called the Apple Store in Munich (I would assume it is the same in other large German cities, but again worth giving a call), oh and I spoke with the lady in English:

• They do offer Tax free shopping (they use GlobalBlue service)
  • They generally only carry German keyboard configurations (I asked this as I've bought MacBooks in Japan before and they had some higher end models with US keyboards), they occasionally have iPad keyboards in English (I assume US keyboards)

Another tip (and again worth checking by contacting them) if you are looking for a custom configuration is to contact an Apple Reseller and see if they can order you a custom machine and also do the tax free. I used to do this in Hong Kong many years ago before Apple stores existed, where I'd order ahead and then pickup the custom machine (you might have to pay a deposit or even in full ahead).

Worth also pointing out that if you are looking for a different RAM/SSD configuration (but happy with a German keyboard) that Apple Stores often carry higher end configurations in stock, oh and their online stock system shows stocks only above a certain level.

Hope this is helpful (and thanks for prompting me to make the call!).

Jan 23, 2022 6:07 AM in response to damirX86

And I'm also writing this because Serbia doesn't have Apple stores and because the difference between prices of Apple products in Hungary and Germany that both have them (for cheapest 16" MacBook Pro) is 280 euros and if you add VAT refund of 450 euros at the end you get 730 euros back - and all of this just because of few days you spent researching online and sharing this and with these posts here helping others to save a significant amount of money.

Tax refund

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.