Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone restore due to lost password

My iPhone goes into restore mode, iTunes begins extraction and then the iPhone loses restore mode before extraction ends. The iTunes says it cannot find the phone and lots of time is wasted. What is the solution?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 4:21 PM

Hi there jteague764,

We waned to clear up exactly what's happening in order to see how we can help.

Is the issue where you put your iPhone into recovery mode, but it gets out of recovery mode while it's downloading the new iOS? If yes, we recommend trying the same steps again to restore by recovery mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch

If the issue is instead that you get an error when you try to restore your iPhone, then we recommend the steps above your post: If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If the issue remains in either case, we recommend contacting Apple next: Get Support

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 4:21 PM in response to jteague764

Hi there jteague764,

We waned to clear up exactly what's happening in order to see how we can help.

Is the issue where you put your iPhone into recovery mode, but it gets out of recovery mode while it's downloading the new iOS? If yes, we recommend trying the same steps again to restore by recovery mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch

If the issue is instead that you get an error when you try to restore your iPhone, then we recommend the steps above your post: If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If the issue remains in either case, we recommend contacting Apple next: Get Support

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2022 8:01 AM in response to bruno75

After 4 failed attempts at restoration with iPhone in restore mode and 2 failed attempts by phone, I tried the restore/iTunes method again in the morning. Three times faster extraction in iTunes got the method to work and the iPhone reset with new passcode to open. It might have been the time of day affecting extraction time. iCloud restored all of the apps I had put on the phone in the weeks it was working before face recognition failed. I will not use face recognition to open the phone again. Thanks for the suggestions.

iPhone restore due to lost password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.