Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Translate on Mac - shortcuts

in accordance with Translate on Mac, is it possible to add custom shortcuts?

use case:

in order to compose "Control-click the selected text" and "then choose Translate" steps into one single keyboard shortcut.

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 8:39 AM

You can't use the App Shortcuts because the menu item is dynamic. It doesn't just say, "Translate…", it includes the text that is selected. You can create custom shortcuts for some contextual menu items, but since this one doesn't have a static name, there would not be a way to do that in the built-in shortcuts system.

Since you have to select the text, I don't know how a keyboard shortcut would be anyway efficient. If you are select text via the keyboard or something other than the mouse/trackpad, I guess it would be.

I don't know if any of the Macro-type programs could do that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 8:39 AM in response to tsarenkotxt

You can't use the App Shortcuts because the menu item is dynamic. It doesn't just say, "Translate…", it includes the text that is selected. You can create custom shortcuts for some contextual menu items, but since this one doesn't have a static name, there would not be a way to do that in the built-in shortcuts system.

Since you have to select the text, I don't know how a keyboard shortcut would be anyway efficient. If you are select text via the keyboard or something other than the mouse/trackpad, I guess it would be.

I don't know if any of the Macro-type programs could do that.

Translate on Mac - shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.