You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods 3: microphone works well on iPhone but it’s muffle on MacBook Air

I just got my AirPods 3. When I listen to music, it works well. When I use it to record audios, it still works well on my iPhone, but its recording quality is terrible on my MacBook Air (M1 2020). When I played back, I could hear my sound was broke and there is small weird sound. I also tried Apple’s wired EarPods with my MacBook. The wired one works well. So it seems every device is fine. Why can’t the microphone of my Airpods 3 do well with MacBook Air? I also checked the right side and left side, respectively. Both sides sound broke with my MacBook. What should I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:51 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 20, 2022 6:03 PM in response to Ypaud

Hey Ypaud,

We see that your AirPods 3 sounds muffled only when connected to your MacBook Air, and we'd like to help!

Please make sure that you've tried all the following steps from this article for your Mac: If your AirPods Pro make crackling or static sounds

Be sure to select additional links from that article for more steps.

Also, check out this resource as well: If the sound from your wireless headphones cuts out or is distorted

Let us know how it goes!

Best regards.

Jan 28, 2022 4:52 PM in response to Ypaud

Hey Ypaud,

Thanks for letting us know the results.

We're glad that we were able to isolate the issue to your MacBook. Do you have any updates for your Mac? Update macOS on Mac

If there are no updates or the update doesn't make a difference, we recommend that you reach out to Apple Support team next: Contact Apple for support and service

We hope everything works out!

Best regards.

Jan 20, 2022 8:49 PM in response to Eric--F

Thank you for your reply. My macOS is the newest version. I removed my bluetooth devices, such as my Apple keyboard and wireless mouth, but the AirPods' recording quality is still bad. I also tried to use my AirPods in different rooms, far away from any wireless devices and tried several apps to test microphone quality. Nothing improved...

Jan 21, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Ypaud

Hey Ypaud,

Thanks for keeping us updated with the results! We appreciate it.

By any chance, is there another Mac you can try to connect your AirPods with? We want to confirm that this issue is only with your specific Mac to help us further isolate the issue. If you have a friend or a family member with a Mac, that would work too.

Also, do you recall installing any apps recently or a third-party software such as antivirus programs?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2022 1:08 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for replying to me! I eventually borrowed a macbook and tested my AirPods. My AirPods performed well on that laptop, so it seems it's my macbook's issues. But this M1 macbook is new... I got it at the end of last year. Do you have any clue how I can troubleshoot this issue? My laptop works well with other wired EarPuds and wireless keyboards/mouses.

Jan 28, 2022 11:00 PM in response to Eric--F

I updated my macOS. Now the version is 12.2. The sound quality of the microphone improved a little bit, but still obviously muffled compared to the other MacBook Air. The sound in my laptop is like there's an echo on the line. But it is very clear when I tested the AirPods on the other MacBook Air.

AirPods 3: microphone works well on iPhone but it’s muffle on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.