Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting from photos

I'm getting unknown error 1005 when trying to export from photos, anyone got a fix for this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 12:53 AM

To more things to test: Have you been exporting the adjusted versions or the unmodified originals?

I am asking this, because Photos 7 on Monterey may no longer be able to handle some media files, that you imported a long time ago using a different system version.

Try, if you can export at least with "File > Export > Export unmodified original" for a single file. This will check, if the original can be accessed at all.

And also check, if the destination you selected as the destination can be written to.

Sometimes it will work better, if you export to a local folder in your user home folder, for example the Pictures folder, instead of trying to write directly to an external volume.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 12:53 AM in response to jaqi224

To more things to test: Have you been exporting the adjusted versions or the unmodified originals?

I am asking this, because Photos 7 on Monterey may no longer be able to handle some media files, that you imported a long time ago using a different system version.

Try, if you can export at least with "File > Export > Export unmodified original" for a single file. This will check, if the original can be accessed at all.

And also check, if the destination you selected as the destination can be written to.

Sometimes it will work better, if you export to a local folder in your user home folder, for example the Pictures folder, instead of trying to write directly to an external volume.

Jan 20, 2022 11:42 PM in response to jaqi224

Hi

• Is this all photos, or just some? How are you exporting? Drag/drop, or file>export (you should use file>export)
  • Are you able to open one of these photos for editing?
  • Do you use iCloud photos? If so, with or without optimise mac storage?
  • Do you (or have you ever) had referenced photos in your library (imported with the circled option NOT checked)

• Where is your library stored? If on an external drive, what is the format?

Jan 24, 2022 11:56 PM in response to jaqi224

The prompt where to save the photos should appear after the File > Export > Export unmodified original. If you are using iCloud Photos and your desktop is syncing with iCloud, do not save the photos to the Desktop but to the Pictures folder. Did you test with a single photo?

And I take it, you did already shut down the computer and restarted it?

exporting from photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.