Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie file no sound

Hi all,

I’m having an issue with some old movies I created in iMovie going back 5 or 6 years. After creating the movie, I used to export to iTunes to be able to share with some other devices. Having not looked at these for a few years, I have now found them again and want to watch them but they contain no sound! I’m wondering whether this is something to do with iTunes being no more and replaced by music but the location of these movies has always been in the ‘Movies’ folder so I don’t know what’s happened.

mac is same as its always been 2013 iMac and currently running Catalina. Movies were likely created when running Sierra or El Capitan. I can’t seem to find the original projects in iMovie either so I can’t see a way to re export the movies.

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 1:23 PM

Try converting the movies to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 1:23 PM in response to Lamby89

Try converting the movies to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures audio issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Jan 30, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Lamby89

O.K. Nothing to do but try a few things to see if we can isolate the problem.

Open your exported .m4v movie in QuickTimePlayer and do a Window/Show Movie Inspector. In the movie inspector box that appears, what audio and video format is shown? It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot of the movie inspector box. Does the movie play with audio on your desktop in QuickTimePlayer?

Open the movie in Handbrake again. When you click on the Audio button, does it display an audio format in the codec box? If so, what is the codec shown to be?

Also, in what version of iMovie did you create the movies? iMovie 9 or 10? Was the audio track initially embedded in the the video clips, or was it added in a separate audio track?

Try importing your .m4v movie into the timeline of a newly created iMovie project. Then click on the Settings button above and to the right of the timeline. In the Settings dialogue box that appears, click on Audio:Show Waveforms. Also use the settings box slider to increase the clip size. Now look at the movie clip in the timeline. Does it display wave forms in the blue stripe at the bottom of the clip?

-- Rich

imovie file no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.