Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update claims I am not an owner

why won't my Mac update to 12.1 - It claims I am not an owner - but I've never had this problem before.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 1:48 AM

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Details and context will really help to pinpoint possible solutions.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 1:48 AM in response to DougHL

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Details and context will really help to pinpoint possible solutions.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 24, 2022 6:23 AM in response to PRP_53

the problem appeared when I tried to update to 12.1

Talked with apple support, and the only apparent solution is to rebuild the OS. somehow my administration user became corrupted. So I have to get an external backup drive to back up everything, wipe disk. reload OS, then recover all my stuff from backup.

I don't have any of the aforementioned software e.g. antivirus, etc.

Jan 26, 2022 12:26 PM in response to DougHL

I have a ManBook Air M1 and have had this problem with every update. Uninstalling CleanMyMac does not work, I had to go into recovery mode and install the OS, which then was properly installed. While I've had Macs for years this is the first time I've run into this, If continuing I'll probably reassess owning Macs.

software update claims I am not an owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.