You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple

Hi Guys,

I have an iphone 6s for which I got the battery replaced with a brand new apple battery from an apple store - Genius bar. The phone hardware seems perfect no issues with camera, speakers and all functioning well. I have factory reset the phone, updated to iOS 15.2, with just the bare bones apps that come with a new iOS. I disabled most settings like min screen brightness, no background refresh, no sending analytics, no wifi, no bluetooth etc. I even took out the sim, and tested the phone in airplane mode without using any apps in the background. The battery still drains very fast and hardly lasts a day even in airplane mode. Any further suggestions?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 9:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 9:24 PM

Maxasris Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: Hi Guys, I have an iphone 6s for which I got the battery replaced with a brand new apple battery from an apple store - Genius bar.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone Battery Draining:

Refer to the Following:

I. Upgrade Once More:

Upgrade to the latest update.

Go Here:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

II. Report this to Apple:

Do your part: Let Apple know what is going on here. Provide them with feedback on this. They may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they received on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Comment: on when the issue began, and how you have troubleshot it thus far.
  3. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  4. Proceed from there aw necessary

II. Troubleshooting iPhone Battery Draining:

Refer to the Following...

A. Battery Drain Info:

The iPhone battery will drain, unless it is plugged in and charging. With lots installed, the charge would be slower. As for how fast it would drain the battery, that would depend on the battery health and the volume (sound) you use.

1. Go Here: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support
  2. Scroll Down: to "Your battery's maximum capacity"

B.. Troubleshooting the Battery:

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2022 9:24 PM in response to Maxasris

Maxasris Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: Hi Guys, I have an iphone 6s for which I got the battery replaced with a brand new apple battery from an apple store - Genius bar.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone Battery Draining:

Refer to the Following:

I. Upgrade Once More:

Upgrade to the latest update.

Go Here:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

II. Report this to Apple:

Do your part: Let Apple know what is going on here. Provide them with feedback on this. They may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they received on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Comment: on when the issue began, and how you have troubleshot it thus far.
  3. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  4. Proceed from there aw necessary

II. Troubleshooting iPhone Battery Draining:

Refer to the Following...

A. Battery Drain Info:

The iPhone battery will drain, unless it is plugged in and charging. With lots installed, the charge would be slower. As for how fast it would drain the battery, that would depend on the battery health and the volume (sound) you use.

1. Go Here: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support
  2. Scroll Down: to "Your battery's maximum capacity"

B.. Troubleshooting the Battery:

Jan 26, 2022 12:46 PM in response to Maxasris

Maxasris Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: Sorry TheLittles, have done what you mentioned, but to no avail. Still the same issue.

———-

Get this Serviced:

Getting the Correct Battery:

From here, take this to Apple or an AASP to get a new battery. They’ll find the correct model, and will assist you from there.

A. Contact Apple Support:

If purchased from Apple, or covered under AppleCare, then get this serviced by Apple.

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. And that makes sense because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

B. Contact an AASP:

Another other option would be to take this to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service provider), asking for assistance.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Feb 1, 2022 9:07 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your advice, which I've followed.

However, unlike in the shot illustrating the Apple advice, where "Other" took up the vast majority of the space in iPhone Storage, on my 6s, it occupied, before I went through the procedure advised, maybe about 10%. The vast majority of the storage space was taken by Media, which I know to be the music I have on my iPhone.

This has been true for several years, and long before my finding, as I have recently an without any change in the way I use the phone, that the battery runs down from being fully charged to being 20% charged between the morning and the early afternoon.

So even though I have cleared "Other"

I wonder how much difference this is going to make to the length of time the charge in my iPhone 6s battery lasts.

Jan 31, 2022 4:02 PM in response to TheLittles

in my iPhone 6s a new Apple battery was installed about 18months ago. I now find that even though in Battery Health Maximum Capacity shows as 100%, and I'm a retired person with moderate use of the phone, the battery goes from having been fully charged overnight to about 20% charge by 2.00 pm, and from another re-charging to full at that point to about 20% again by about 9.00 pm. Is the battery due for replacement and its 100% Maximum Capacity reading false? Or could there be some other problem and if so, is it a problem I can tackle?

Jan 31, 2022 4:32 PM in response to palquest

palquest Said:

"in my iPhone 6s a new Apple battery was installed about 18months ago. I now find that even though in Battery Health Maximum Capacity shows as 100%,: [...]Is the battery due for replacement and its 100% Maximum Capacity reading false? Or could there be some other problem and if so, is it a problem I can tackle?"

-------

Clear "Other" (Applies to iPhone):

Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use. So, clearing other may be the way to go about this, as it would be performs through use of a computer

Feb 4, 2022 5:28 PM in response to palquest

palquest Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: Thanks for your advice, which I've followed.: I wonder how much difference this is going to make to the length of time the charge in my iPhone 6s battery lasts."

-------

About Clearing "Other":

The intent on clearing "Other" is to rid of Caches. Caches are items that remember what settings have taken place, and how you have used them. So, by clearing them, these remembrances will no longer reside, thereby making thing not mis-occur.

So, did it all of "Other" get cleared up?

Feb 5, 2022 3:27 AM in response to TheLittles

I cleared "Other" on 31 January, and it made no difference. In fact the following day the battery, fully charged when I turned on the phone in the morning, read close to zero charge by about 11.00 am. (I emphasise I don't keep Bluetooth on, and nothing has changed, either in the number of apps downloaded, or in my way of using the phone that could explain the drastic deterioration in the battery's ability to hold its charge in recent weeks, let alone with Battery Health>Maximum Capacity showing 100%.)

But here's an odd thing. Yesterday, with the battery charge reading once again having plummeted from 100% at 7.00 am to 4% by about 10.30, I backed up the phone to my desktop once more with the intention of taking it to a local phone shop to discuss diagnosing if its power management had broken down and/or changing the battery. I then put it on the charger until I was ready to go out. And to my amazement I found that the battery charge level having gone up to read 100%, it then HELD ALL DAY, showing 54% as I went to be after midnight. As I write at 11.25 GMT, it's at 94% from 100% when I got up before 07.00, in other words the battery is once again holding its charge. Mystified is not the half of it.

Feb 5, 2022 10:05 AM in response to palquest

palquest Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: But here's an odd thing. Yesterday, with the battery charge reading once again having plummeted from 100% at 7.00 am to 4% by about 10.30, I backed up the phone to my desktop once more with the intention of taking it to a local phone shop to discuss diagnosing if its power management had broken down and/or changing the battery.[...]"

-------

About Battery Scams:

Is this currently-installed battery a replacement? The percentages are all guestimations on Apple's part. I've seen mine drastically increase and decrease. So, as for the behavior, if this is was not replaced by Apple or an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), then I would suspect they gave you a fake battery. The person should have known better.

Feb 5, 2022 8:07 PM in response to palquest

palquest Said:

"iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple: The battery was replaced in July 2020, the problem began to show about three weeks ago."

-------

OK, so who replaced it? If it was not Apple, nor an AASP, I'd be suspicious at to if the persona who replaced it, placed a genuine battery in it.

Feb 7, 2022 12:02 PM in response to palquest

palquest Said:

"If the problem I've been having in the last three weeks is a sign that the battery in the phone since July 2020 is a fake, I'm puzzled as to how it would have taken a year and a half after its installation for the problem to start to show."

-------

The Battery is the Culprit:

Then it would be a genuine battery. Not all batteries are going to last a year-and-a-half. It might last a half-a-year, or for more than a few years. There's really no way to tell. So, all is fine. It's just the battery.

iphone 6s battery still drains fast after new battery replacement by Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.