Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable SSD

I've just found out that the portable external SSD drive is hidden (either from a PC or Apple), how can I unhide it? I tried everything and I bought a new cable but it is down to my portable SSD drive. It's very important because it has a lot of my Ph.D. work inside it. Thanks.

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:35 AM

Does that message appear on your Mac or the PC? How were you able to put the work on it to begin with? Perhaps it used some proprietary security, or is password protected? Did it require using an app or similar utility to transfer data to it?

This is what I was able to find from Microsoft's support site:

Error code 45 hardware device is not connected

I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder just how something can allege a device connected to your computer... isn't connected to your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 6:35 AM in response to kgbuckle

Does that message appear on your Mac or the PC? How were you able to put the work on it to begin with? Perhaps it used some proprietary security, or is password protected? Did it require using an app or similar utility to transfer data to it?

This is what I was able to find from Microsoft's support site:

Error code 45 hardware device is not connected

I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder just how something can allege a device connected to your computer... isn't connected to your computer.

Jan 24, 2022 6:32 PM in response to kgbuckle

If you are using Monterey, then try using the laptop's charging cable to connect the external drive (users have reported success doing this although the transfers will be extremely slow because the drive will be connecting as USB2). Monterey is known to have some compatibility issues with USB3 drives although the macOS 12.1 update helped many people.

Also try disconnecting all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

What has changed with your computer(s) and this drive since the last time you were able to access the data on the drive?

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important & unique data. I would also recommend having a spare copy of your data on external media which can be accessed by an device or OS since some backups are tied closely to your particular Mac.

Portable SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.