Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I follow the instructions to convert songs in my Apple Music Library, i'm told that "protected files cannot be converted to other formats". Why include instructions here if it cannot be done?

When I follow the instructions to convert songs in my Apple Music Library, i'm told that "protected files cannot be converted to other formats". Why include instructions here if it cannot be done? Is there actually a way to take the songs from my Apple Library (m4p) and put them on an mp3 player (which can accept mp3, wav, m4a, etc)?

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:24 AM

You should still be able to convert songs that you bought from the iTunes Store or music you imported from a CD (for example). However. music that you lease with an Apple Music subscription is copy-protected to only play on Apple-approved devices and cannot be converted to other formats.

1 reply

When I follow the instructions to convert songs in my Apple Music Library, i'm told that "protected files cannot be converted to other formats". Why include instructions here if it cannot be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.