Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 Won't Turn On

My MacBook Pro won’t turn on. Went through the easy steps of holding power for 10 seconds, restart the SMC, making sure the cable wasn’t the issues, etc.

So I decided to hook it up to my iMac (also M1) and try to revive it in Configurator 2. On the plus side, it did bring it up with the big DFU screen. Tried to revive and the message I got said:

The System cannot be restored on this device.

Gave up waiting for device to transition from DFU state to DFU state.

[com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore - 0xFCA (4042)]

I decided to go ahead and try to Restore it instead. Same result, same message. I can’t find much about what to do about that error though.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it? I'm guessing I'll need to take it down to the Apple store, but they are about an hour away, so before I do that I figured I'd post here first.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 7:12 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 24, 2022 9:47 PM in response to Tiki108

Tiki108 Said:

"MacBook Pro M1 Won't Turn On: My MacBook Pro won’t turn on. Went through the easy steps of holding power for 10 seconds, restart the SMC, making sure the cable wasn’t the issues, etc[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Power Issues:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

B. About Resetting the SMC:

Resetting the SMC would not apply here. It is not an option for an M1 Mac. It Is for Intel Macs only. And the same goes for retting the NVRAM, for note.

C. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jan 29, 2022 10:45 AM in response to pierre2410

pierre2410 Said:

"I have the same problem since this morning (macbook pro M1 2021): [...]I'm going to take it to apple on Monday[...]"

-------

Sounds like a plan!

Getting this Serviced by Apple:

A. Genius Bar Appointment:

Take this into Apple. Ask Apple Support about this when calling them. Have Apple look into this. Start by contacting Apple***, and request that a Genius Bar Appointment be reserved. You would take this to your Local Apple Store, during which the screen and all other necessities would be looked at.

***Info on Contacting Apple:

B. Send-In Service:

With the Coronavirus going around, your local Apple Store may not be open at this very moment. So, send-in service is what you would use. So, while on the phone, ask the Apple Rep if mail-in service is an available option for you to send this in for service.  See my User Tip from almost 2 years ago!: Coronavirus Pandemic - Why Your Streaming May be Down at the Moment - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2022 2:09 PM in response to Tiki108

Tiki108 Said:

It's the Mac:

Q1. I have mostly Apple devices and several official power cables from Apple. I've tried several different ones that are all working fine with other devices, so unless you're suggesting that all of them are broken and only broken with this MacBook, then I really really don't think that's the issue.?"

A1. I agree: It is the Mac giving you the issue. So, use my first reply.

-----

How I Post:

Q2. "You seem to mostly be just copying and pasted based on keywords from my posts, but you're not answering the question. If the cable was the issue, then would it still be able to connect to the iMac? If so, then how would all of these cables be broken for this one specific function?"

A2. It's how I post things. I'm copying and pasting because it appears to apply to the post. As time goes on, the replies' topic(s) change --it's the way threads work. So, if it pertains to this one Mac, then it is the Mac giving you the issue (my first reply). You then asked about the cable, so I provide a reply on that. My first reply helps many, and that is why I posted it.

Jan 24, 2022 9:29 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Yeah, that was the first guide I tried and still not working. I’ve tried it several times and watched videos and read other guides just to make sure I wasn’t missing something. The issue is that it’s giving me that error code and I can’t seem to find what that code means.

The one step also states “During this process, an Apple logo will appear and disappear on the second Mac.“ Which that is not happening. I don’t know if something is wrong with the USB ports themselves, but knowing what that error code means might at least give me an idea.

Jan 26, 2022 1:21 PM in response to ericb29

I got an email with it and saw what you said. This MacBook is still under warranty (it's only 3 months old) and based on what I've been reading from others it was fixed for free. Others even had their logic boards replaced with a similar issue. Considering this is a $1300 computer and brand new, I'd be pretty shocked if they gave me an issue. Someone else said with theirs Apple also gave them a free external hard drive for their trouble since it took 2 weeks to get the parts to fix it.

Jan 26, 2022 1:31 PM in response to ericb29

I haven't taken the cables out during any of revive and restore attempts. From what I've read the error code for removing the cable is [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0xFA5 (4005)] but the error I'm getting is [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore - 0xFCA (4042)]

You say to hold the power button on the non-working Mac, but are you saying to hold it the entire time the Revive/Restore is running? I'm getting to the DFU screen, that part isn't the issue and none of the materials from Apple state to keep holding the power button after that state is reached, they all say to release it after you see DFU on the screen. Do you have a link with more info about this? It takes like 20 mins to run the revive or restore attempts, so if I have to hold the power button that entire time, I can, but I really don't think that's the case.

Jan 26, 2022 1:35 PM in response to TheLittles

I have mostly Apple devices and several official power cables from Apple. I've tried several different ones that are all working fine with other devices, so unless you're suggesting that all of them are broken and only broken with this MacBook, then I really really don't think that's the issue.

You seem to mostly be just copying and pasted based on keywords from my posts, but you're not answering the question. If the cable was the issue, then would it still be able to connect to the iMac? If so, then how would all of these cables be broken for this one specific function?

MacBook Pro M1 Won't Turn On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.