Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BIOMESYNCD - taking up 100% cpu constantly

Hi,

I have this process taking up 100% cpu on my 2018 Mac Mini running Monterey 12.0.1.

Seems to be located in /usr/libexec

I can force quit it in Activity Monitor but it just restarts and eventually spins up the fans again. V annoying.

The mini acts a homebridge server, but the process continues even if I remove that. No other 3rd party apps installed.

Anyone know what this is, and how I can stop it taking up the CPU as the fans spin up all the time.

I can find one other person reporting this, and a PRAM reset worked for them, not in my case.

Thanks

Mark

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 3:57 AM

UPDATE

So I looked at the process details in activity monitor and saw it had files in /user/xxx/Library/biome

I took a gamble and deleted this (11gb of it!) and then killed the errant process and boom. It's gone. The daemon isn't running and CPU is low again.

Would still like to know what this is used for?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 3:57 AM in response to Veeoh

UPDATE

So I looked at the process details in activity monitor and saw it had files in /user/xxx/Library/biome

I took a gamble and deleted this (11gb of it!) and then killed the errant process and boom. It's gone. The daemon isn't running and CPU is low again.

Would still like to know what this is used for?

Feb 23, 2022 8:22 PM in response to Veeoh

I don't know what this is for, although I have a suspicion that it may have something to do with biometrics.

In my case it was only causing this behavior on one user account on my 2020 MacBook Air (Intel) but I could not get it to stop either by SMC reset or NVRAM reset. I found this thread and have also deleted the Biome folder. It seems to have cured it. The process still shows up in Activity Monitor, but it only runs occasionally and never gets any where near the 100% cpu mark any more.

Thanks for the update!

PS- Apple, both on the phone and at the store, had no idea what the process was either.

BIOMESYNCD - taking up 100% cpu constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.