Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac heating with no reason

Hello,

My mac is heating up all the time and the fans run full speed even if computer activity is minimal.

I ran an etrecheck report and it seems I have some major issues. Please see the report attached

Thanks

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 1:12 PM

Welcome!

1) SSD: Both write and read values should be closer to 500MB/sec"

Performance:

System Load: 2.62 (1 min ago) 2.57 (5 min ago) 2.89 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.40 MB/s

File system: 45.33 seconds

Write speed: 422 MB/s

Read speed: 165 MB/s

The read speed shown--165MB/s-- is no faster than a 7200rpm 6GB mechanical hard drive can do. Ask Samsung what's wrong with their drive. That spread between read and write speed usually happens when TRIMforce is not enabled. However, the report shows TRIM is enabled.

2) Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 138.04 % (?)

trustd 7.82 % (Apple)

Google Chrome 6.30 % (Google, Inc.)

EtreCheck 5.83 % (App Store)

nsurlstoraged 0.07 % (Apple)

To have EtreCheck Identify this system hog, you need to enable Full Drive Access for EtreCheck. Instructions are in the EtreCheck Help menu under "More help"

Otherwise you have to use Activity Monitor. Its constantly updating display makes finding the hogs slower. If you decide to use Activity Monitor:

See CPU activity for your Mac in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

3) "My mac is heating up all the time and the fans run full speed even if computer activity is minimal. "

Please be specific as to what apps are running when it gets hot. Some tasks that used to be considered low-impact are no longer today. Chrome is a resource hog that will raise temps compared to other equivalent browsers. Stream video is among the most taxing things you can do with a computer. And video-conferencing is now among the top heat and CPU load producers.

4) 3rd Party Preference Panes:

ApplyLUTPane (? - installed 2013-10-18)

Flash Player (? - installed 2017-08-29)

Flip4Mac WMV (? - installed 2012-05-16)

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X (? - installed 2010-04-07)

XBox 360 Controllers (? - installed 2013-02-07)

Several of these are badly outdated,, Flash is now dead and buried--no more updates. If you use these, update them, Otherwise, dump them.

5) Client-side-only VPNs are generally not worth the trouble:

[Running] com.privat.vpn.helper.plist (Privat Kommunikation Sverige AB - installed 2021-04-16)

If this was issued you by an employer, fine. However, too many people are watching too many TV commercials and installing untethered VPNs that do nothing for security.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 1:12 PM in response to aashkar

Welcome!

1) SSD: Both write and read values should be closer to 500MB/sec"

Performance:

System Load: 2.62 (1 min ago) 2.57 (5 min ago) 2.89 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.40 MB/s

File system: 45.33 seconds

Write speed: 422 MB/s

Read speed: 165 MB/s

The read speed shown--165MB/s-- is no faster than a 7200rpm 6GB mechanical hard drive can do. Ask Samsung what's wrong with their drive. That spread between read and write speed usually happens when TRIMforce is not enabled. However, the report shows TRIM is enabled.

2) Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 138.04 % (?)

trustd 7.82 % (Apple)

Google Chrome 6.30 % (Google, Inc.)

EtreCheck 5.83 % (App Store)

nsurlstoraged 0.07 % (Apple)

To have EtreCheck Identify this system hog, you need to enable Full Drive Access for EtreCheck. Instructions are in the EtreCheck Help menu under "More help"

Otherwise you have to use Activity Monitor. Its constantly updating display makes finding the hogs slower. If you decide to use Activity Monitor:

See CPU activity for your Mac in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

3) "My mac is heating up all the time and the fans run full speed even if computer activity is minimal. "

Please be specific as to what apps are running when it gets hot. Some tasks that used to be considered low-impact are no longer today. Chrome is a resource hog that will raise temps compared to other equivalent browsers. Stream video is among the most taxing things you can do with a computer. And video-conferencing is now among the top heat and CPU load producers.

4) 3rd Party Preference Panes:

ApplyLUTPane (? - installed 2013-10-18)

Flash Player (? - installed 2017-08-29)

Flip4Mac WMV (? - installed 2012-05-16)

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X (? - installed 2010-04-07)

XBox 360 Controllers (? - installed 2013-02-07)

Several of these are badly outdated,, Flash is now dead and buried--no more updates. If you use these, update them, Otherwise, dump them.

5) Client-side-only VPNs are generally not worth the trouble:

[Running] com.privat.vpn.helper.plist (Privat Kommunikation Sverige AB - installed 2021-04-16)

If this was issued you by an employer, fine. However, too many people are watching too many TV commercials and installing untethered VPNs that do nothing for security.

Jan 25, 2022 1:29 PM in response to aashkar

Apparently you have some runaway apps. If you go to utilities Activity monitor CPU ,you can see what apps are using high CPU. There you can ether kill the app or if you don't know what it is, look it up on internet. then if it's not a system app remove it. You should look if the app has an uninstall in it or look up on internet for how to delete it. Your report is telling you to uninstall Flash Player. It says your SSD drive is slow. And I see you have Disk Drill installed. You could download and install DriveDX which is free as it can give you abetter read of your SSD drive. Try doing a Pram and SMC reset.https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/ If you go to system preferences users and groups login items and you have a lot. You can click on then and click the minus box at the bottom. This will not remove the app, just stop it from loading at startup. If you do remove some apps, run another report.

Mac heating with no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.