Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mute/unmute songs on itunes/ipod

In my music/songs lists on itunes, I have tick boxes against all my music which I used to untick my xmas songs playlist after xmas so that they would not play on my ipod nano until I re ticked them. For some reason when I now untick them the music/songs still play.

How do I correct this?

iPod Nano

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 8:20 AM

When you untick a song in your iTunes Library, it will still play if you select that specific song. However, if you play the song before it, once that song finishes, the unticked song will not be played and the following one will (if it is ticked). If you're in a list (playlist etc.) that contains only unticked songs, then if you select any one, it will play but once it finishes the player will stop since there's nothing else to be played.

To make this work on your nano, two (simple) things are needed:

1. you need to have the Sync only ticked songs and videos option ticked (in your iTunes Library - more on this in a moment)
    2. you need to Sync the nano with your iTunes Library for the changes you made in the library to take effect on the iPod as well. If you don't use Sync to manage your iPod, I'll come to that in another moment

Sync only ticked songs and videos:

• connect your iPod to your computer and once iTunes sees it, click on the iPod icon (as shown in the screenshot below):

• that will show you the Device/Settings/Summary pane. On that pane, look for - and put the tick into, the Sync only ticked songs and videos box. (The screenshot shows an old nano, without video capability):

• Sync the iPod with iTunes by clicking on the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window (not shown in the screenshots). This will remove the unticked songs from your iPod but leave them in your library
  • When you want the Xmas songs back on the iPod, simply put the tick back on and Sync the iPod with the library

If you don't use Sync:

If you use Manually Manage rather than Sync to manage your iPod, then you will need to delete the songs from the iPod while it's connected to your iTunes Library. Make sure you delete the copy on your iPod, not the copy in your library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 8:20 AM in response to ORACLE67

When you untick a song in your iTunes Library, it will still play if you select that specific song. However, if you play the song before it, once that song finishes, the unticked song will not be played and the following one will (if it is ticked). If you're in a list (playlist etc.) that contains only unticked songs, then if you select any one, it will play but once it finishes the player will stop since there's nothing else to be played.

To make this work on your nano, two (simple) things are needed:

1. you need to have the Sync only ticked songs and videos option ticked (in your iTunes Library - more on this in a moment)
    2. you need to Sync the nano with your iTunes Library for the changes you made in the library to take effect on the iPod as well. If you don't use Sync to manage your iPod, I'll come to that in another moment

Sync only ticked songs and videos:

• connect your iPod to your computer and once iTunes sees it, click on the iPod icon (as shown in the screenshot below):

• that will show you the Device/Settings/Summary pane. On that pane, look for - and put the tick into, the Sync only ticked songs and videos box. (The screenshot shows an old nano, without video capability):

• Sync the iPod with iTunes by clicking on the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window (not shown in the screenshots). This will remove the unticked songs from your iPod but leave them in your library
  • When you want the Xmas songs back on the iPod, simply put the tick back on and Sync the iPod with the library

If you don't use Sync:

If you use Manually Manage rather than Sync to manage your iPod, then you will need to delete the songs from the iPod while it's connected to your iTunes Library. Make sure you delete the copy on your iPod, not the copy in your library.

Mute/unmute songs on itunes/ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.