Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't back up to PC

Hi. I can't seem to back up my iPhone to my pc using iTunes. The "back up now" button just greyed out. My iTunes (12.12.2) and iPhones (iOS 15.3) already up-to-date.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 8:35 AM

Once iTunes sees the device it should perform a backup immediately. The top Now Playing window in iTunes shows the progress of actions involving the iPhone and Sync. Be quick and you should see a message telling you that it's performing the backup. Once it has backed up, then iTunes does the Sync and the message will tell you which part of the Sync it's working on. Once it's done the backup, the button will remain greyed out since there's nothing new to be backed up.

If you tap on iTunes' top bar menu item Edit/Preferences>Devices > Device backups: you should see information about the time of the last backup, even if the phone is not currently connected to iTunes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 8:35 AM in response to mirulrashid

Once iTunes sees the device it should perform a backup immediately. The top Now Playing window in iTunes shows the progress of actions involving the iPhone and Sync. Be quick and you should see a message telling you that it's performing the backup. Once it has backed up, then iTunes does the Sync and the message will tell you which part of the Sync it's working on. Once it's done the backup, the button will remain greyed out since there's nothing new to be backed up.

If you tap on iTunes' top bar menu item Edit/Preferences>Devices > Device backups: you should see information about the time of the last backup, even if the phone is not currently connected to iTunes.

Can't back up to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.