Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from an external ssd to to hd

If I transfer all my data from an external ssd to my HD on my iMac, what's going to happen to all my data which is already on my HD? I would prefer to have only all my new data there. Should I erase the old data from my HD first?

Please advise!

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:16 AM

Copying, moving/transferring files in general:

Duplicate file names will prompt a choice to either overwrite or keep both. Non duplicated file name will be transferred normally. Under certain circumstances you'll see an option to "Stop" if duplicates are found.

Either before or after, you can simply move to trash what you don't want to keep then empty the trash.

BUT, that's just a guess based on very little information as stated.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 2:16 AM in response to artalwil

Copying, moving/transferring files in general:

Duplicate file names will prompt a choice to either overwrite or keep both. Non duplicated file name will be transferred normally. Under certain circumstances you'll see an option to "Stop" if duplicates are found.

Either before or after, you can simply move to trash what you don't want to keep then empty the trash.

BUT, that's just a guess based on very little information as stated.

Transferring data from an external ssd to to hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.