Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air slow / overheats

I have a macbook air 2020. Below are the specs:

1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3

8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

250 gb storage

It is so slow, i can barely run outlook without it slugging down.

is there anything i can do to speed it up? I tried reset pram, and everything else but nothing.

Are there any accessories I can buy?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 4:46 PM

Also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R and run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you will need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical SSD before restoring from a backup or clone.

It also never hurts to try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold PRAM reset for at least two chimes).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 4:46 PM in response to elmar342

Also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R and run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you will need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical SSD before restoring from a backup or clone.

It also never hurts to try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold PRAM reset for at least two chimes).

Jan 28, 2022 2:56 PM in response to elmar342

That's terrible. Please consider using EtreCheck (more recent instructions below), and posting its report in a reply. It is likely to reveal some actionable information.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential Mac Issues

Back up your Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support. That Mac may be defective, and unless you have a backup you risk losing all the information it contains.

Macbook air slow / overheats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.