Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about installing macOS (Monterey) on a non-Apple device

Hello there,

macOS is completely new to me.

I would like to install Monterey on a spare drive which is completely new and clean. The drive is on a third party device running on an Intel Xeon processor. I can provide more detailed specs if required.

Assuming the filing system on the hard drive is macOS-compatible, can this be achieved?

If so, is there any thing else community experts can suggest I might need to consider before trying to implement this solution?

For example, would I need to:

• think about compatibility with any other components, such as RAM etc.?
  • install a previous version of macOS first and then upgrade?

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

cofveve

Servers/Datacom

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 5:54 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jan 28, 2022 7:42 AM in response to cofveve

It's great that you want to learn about macOS and compare it to other OS's!

May I suggest getting a used iMac or Mac Mini (2015 vintage or later). There are reputable vendors who sell used Macs at reasonable prices. Here are a few of them. They are reputable vendors but I do not make any specific recommendation.

Note that if you want a Mac that is qualified for the latest version of macOS (Monterey), see this list.

Jan 28, 2022 6:27 AM in response to cofveve

cofveve wrote:

The drive is on a third party device running on an Intel Xeon processor. I can provide more detailed specs if required.

How about if you identify the device? Make/model/version and any other info that could be helpful.

Based on the way you worded your post, I assume this is a NAS device or a pc you want to use as a server. Macs can connect to a NAS device or server but you cannot install macOS on the NAS or server.

I would like to install Monterey on a spare drive which is completely new and clean.

What is your goal with this? To have a backup clone of your Mac? To use the spare drive for data?

Jan 28, 2022 6:04 AM in response to cofveve

Sorry, but installing macOS on non Macs is against terms and unsupported by Apple currently. If you need the OS and a modular/powerful computer, the Mac Pro is the best way to go. On the other hand, you are better off using Linux or Windows on your PC.

Jan 28, 2022 6:46 AM in response to MartinR

Hi Martin R,

I'm an OS enthusiast, and would like to finally branch out a little further so that I can extend my knowledge to macOS.

I enjoy comparing and contrasting differences between Linux (kernels), Unix and Windows on my own workstation.

Practically, it is more helpful for my learning to switch between work on different OSs on different drives, using a hypervisor, and wondered if I could add macOS to my 'zoo' in the same way.

I don't currently have a NAS or a Mac device, but had been considering this type of connection option you mention workaround as a potential alternative.

Many thanks for the input. I have lots of food for thought.

cofveve

Jan 28, 2022 8:02 AM in response to cofveve

cofveve wrote:

I enjoy comparing and contrasting differences between Linux (kernels), Unix and Windows on my own workstation.

Your only option would be to get an Intel Mac while you still can. Then, you could run Parallels on the Mac and have Linux, other types of UNIX (including Mac), and Windows running in virtual machines.

Technically, it is possible to install macOS on a generic PC using various hacking schemes from the internet. But I've never understood the attraction with that. There are always significant limitations on systems like that. It is much like those people who port Doom to a refrigerator. Sure, it is possible and fun. But your refrigerator is simply not a good gaming platform. By the same token, a PC running macOS is not a Macintosh.

Questions about installing macOS (Monterey) on a non-Apple device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.