Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"MobileDeviceUpdater (3661) (Terminated)" after trying to connect/update iPhone to iOS 15.3 on iMac.

A device update window appeared after connecting my iPhone to my iMac. The download failed (froze) and did not change for hours, even after disconnecting iPhone. It would not close or Force Quit either. Yet still able to connect iPhone and update. Finally used Activity Monitor to terminate the process but it took a few tries. This was after macOS Big Sur 11.6.3 update.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 2:24 AM

In the first picture is is indicatiing it is downloading something related to >> If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If it does not work - Restart the computer Safe Mode and try again

The Safe Mode will do a repair disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts so it loads slowly - Normal.

This Safe Mode applies to original iPhone issue and Checking for Updates issue.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 2:24 AM in response to Sapote

In the first picture is is indicatiing it is downloading something related to >> If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If it does not work - Restart the computer Safe Mode and try again

The Safe Mode will do a repair disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts so it loads slowly - Normal.

This Safe Mode applies to original iPhone issue and Checking for Updates issue.

Mar 7, 2022 12:07 PM in response to PRP_53

The issue seems to have resolved itself after going through macOS Recovery (Erase & Reinstall Big Sur), although not what I had wanted it to do - resolve slow startup issue after updating to Big Sur from Catalina.

Comments:

• Time Machine backup is done manually each day. It doesn't need to backup every hour.
  • The 1 TB Mac HD (Fusion Drive) has worked fine until Big Sur update, but it also returned to a fast startup after a clean installation (as noted above) until I migrated my user account back. I was even able to use Big Sur installer on external SSD and boot, but once I manually transferred my user files over and installed apps it reverted back to slow startup.
  • I only have a few main third-party apps installed that I use often; AutoCAD LT 2021, SketchUp Pro 2019,.. and then some others that I use less frequently; Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Word, Etrecheck, Malwarebytes, Google Drive, Dropbox, Zoom, Mactracker, Geekbench 5,... all for Mac platform and all kept up to date, but many of them have only been recently added.
  • I am not aware what the "Large number of system modifications.." are. Again, this issue is recent, but the slow startup after Big Sur update has been an issue for a year.
  • Also not sure about Kernel Extensions. I recall one instance in last year where my iMac suddenly restarted from possible kernel panic?

Feb 3, 2022 1:41 AM in response to Sapote

Fusion drive were good it there day but basically starting in Big Sur macOS 11 and newer version of macOS - the fusion drive will be the issue.

Big Sur and newer versions seem to designed around the idea of all SSD Drives. Yes, it will function on Fusion or Rotational drives but the performance will degrade massively.

There is a possible solution while waiting for the possible 27" M1 iMac to appear.

This would involve purchasing a Good Enclosure and SSD to be housed in the enclosure. The install Big Sur Directly to the External SSD Drive and use the External Drive as the Startup Disk.

The difference is performance will be massively increased.

In the meantime - one can run the below suggested Trouble Shoot Tool >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 24, 2022 5:02 AM in response to Sapote

Q - Time Machine auto backup disabled - Time Machine auto backups are disabled. Small backup drive - Time Machine backup drive is too small.

A - A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS.  and suggest getting a Large Drive for TM Backup

Q - Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.

A - Fusion Drives were good in its day for Storage but not generally good for performance. Especially with a tiny disk0 - APPLE SSD SM0032L 28.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) and disk1 - APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

Even with a 7200 RPM Drive the OS will take a big Performance Hit downwards on anything from Big Sur and up. Thise version of macOS generally are built with the ALL SSD configuration.

There is an option to get a really good External Enclosure and Large enough SSD Drive for the enclosure and Install the OS directly to the External Drive and run the OS from the external drive. The Performance Boost will be immediately noticeable.

You can repurpose the Internal Drive for Time Machine Backup and or general Storage.

Q - Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

A - Review the installed Applications for new or newer versions

Q - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A - Anything the the OS is so heavily Modified the computer and OS will suffer unintended consequences including Slowness and malfunctions.

Q - Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

A - Kernel Extensions are very deep rooted and gives it access to elements of the OS which may not be beneficial to the overall operation of the OS and Computer

Feb 2, 2022 7:28 AM in response to PRP_53

I will try Safe Mode (also for similar “Software Update” issue), but I only see the “Downloading 1item…” window after connecting iPhone, not this window below. Also, the iPhone is connected, shows in Finder, and can backup.

My iMac is already extremely slow with boot up or after restarting since updating to Big Sur from Catalina (Fusion Drive).

Feb 2, 2022 2:51 PM in response to Sapote

Update:

Tried Safe Boot Mode, but connecting iPhone does not work. Doesn't show up in Finder and the Mobile device Updater window does not show up either. Issue returns after exiting Safe Boot Mode, although the "A software update is required to connect to iPhone." window did popup.

I also shut down iMac and removed from power for 1-3 minutes. Tried DU First Aid and Activity Monitor System and Spotlight Diagnostics. Ran Malwarebytes multiple times.

My iMac also suddenly restarted (kernel panic?) while I was working on it as always.

It's a mystery...

This 2019 iMac (19,1) has been the worse experience in 14 years with iMac's, especially after updating to Big Sur from Catalina. EXTREMELY SLOW to boot and settle down after login. Desktop, Apps, macOS in general takes 15-20 mins or longer. Beyond fed up. Must be Apple's way of forcing me to get a new iMac. Waiting for new 27" iMac Pro w/ SSD to hopefully resolve this issue once and for all.

Feb 3, 2022 8:10 AM in response to PRP_53

I have used Etrecheck since issue with Big Sur update from Catalina caused slow down and it hasn’t helped resolve the issue.

I have read that some Fusion Drive users either had issues with Big Sur update and not Monterey, but others the opposite. Seemed to be an issue with external drive enclosures as well.

i do not use any of those third-party apps you mentioned.

I thought about doing a factory reset, fresh installation, and migrate user account from TM BU, also creating a SuperDuper! copy with external SSD and boot from that, but I’m tired of spending anymore time with this, so I’m just waiting for new iMac Pro. I’ve been dealing with these issues and more for last few years.

Feb 3, 2022 8:27 AM in response to PRP_53

I was planning to upgrade Fusion Drive to SSD, either DIY or at Apple Service Provider, but decided to wait for new iMac Pro since it was only a few months more. The cost was $400 - $600+! I’d rather spend that on new iMac. I almost gave in and bought the new 24” iMac. It has been stressful to say the least.

"MobileDeviceUpdater (3661) (Terminated)" after trying to connect/update iPhone to iOS 15.3 on iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.