Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There has to be a way - assign different default folder views?

I am trying to set up my mac so that when I open my "downloads" folder it always opens in "list" and "sort by date added" but when I open any other folder it always opens in "columns" and "sort by name" - I don't know if I'm googling this wrong (?) but I have not been able to figure out the answer and it's been bugging me for years. Is there any way to do this? It would save me so many headaches (I have ADHD and every time I have to switch the views around I lose my focus). Thanks!

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:17 AM

Basically, you can only default the View. Any other settings that are changed will be saved for the next time you open it.

If you set the view options on Downloads to always open in List View, and change another to always open in column view (Set as Default), it should mostly work like that when you first open a folder. If you change settings, those are generally kept when you change folders or close the window.

For example, If you change the sort on downloads to “by Name” and close that folder window, the next time you open, the sort will be by name.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 5:17 AM in response to deeplyinconsequential

Basically, you can only default the View. Any other settings that are changed will be saved for the next time you open it.

If you set the view options on Downloads to always open in List View, and change another to always open in column view (Set as Default), it should mostly work like that when you first open a folder. If you change settings, those are generally kept when you change folders or close the window.

For example, If you change the sort on downloads to “by Name” and close that folder window, the next time you open, the sort will be by name.

There has to be a way - assign different default folder views?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.