Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder Views on iMac

When creating a folder, I want to see any files within that folder in List view. However, some of the filenames are quite long so I extend the spacing for the filename to the required position. When closing and re-opening the folder, the filename space has reverted to the original smaller space and leaving me unable to read the name without extending the space. This didn't use to happen and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can amend this permanently for any existing or new folders? My long-standing existing folders are all suffering the same fate, too. Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:12 PM

I should not have replied on an empty stomach! 🥴

Image #1: Your computer's current folder view setting - 'List' View.

Image #2 Column Expander and Collapser Button - in 'Columns' View

Image #3 - 'Icon' View

The Automatic Viewing that I described is in 'Icon's' view, which is the icon to the Left of your 'List' view setting. It is in 'Icon' view where you can change folder view setting - as instructed earlier - where you can see the full name of your folder and file.

I was in a rush to eat, so here is my full answer. 😃

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 4:12 PM in response to TheVapors

I should not have replied on an empty stomach! 🥴

Image #1: Your computer's current folder view setting - 'List' View.

Image #2 Column Expander and Collapser Button - in 'Columns' View

Image #3 - 'Icon' View

The Automatic Viewing that I described is in 'Icon's' view, which is the icon to the Left of your 'List' view setting. It is in 'Icon' view where you can change folder view setting - as instructed earlier - where you can see the full name of your folder and file.

I was in a rush to eat, so here is my full answer. 😃

Jan 24, 2022 1:38 PM in response to not_so_geeky_2022

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not sure what you're suggesting is working. Below is a screen grab of 2 folders - top one is where the "Name" column defaults to at the moment; below is the "Name" column where I want it to default to.

Currently, when I widen the "Name" column, it just returns back to the narrow width when the folder is later re-opened.

Jan 24, 2022 1:47 PM in response to TheVapors

Hold down the Option key when you adjust the Name column size in the Finder window. That should make it stick to the size.

You will have to do it to any existing folder that you open. Create a new folder and set the size to what you need. Then open the Finder ➙ View ➙ Show View Options menu and click on the Use as Default button. That will set the size for all new folders.

Jan 24, 2022 12:20 PM in response to TheVapors

Automatic viewing:

1) When viewing as 'Icons', select Action>select Show View Options>slide bar on Grid Spacing to right.

This looks messy on screen, but you can see your folder and file's full name.

Current default viewing settings:

2) Double-click on the two vertical lines between the columns to expand either folder or file names.

The folder view will go back to default collapsed view after closing Finder.

Folder Views on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.