Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to install Itunes anywhere but system drive

Why Apple make itunes so unusable when there is not much space on C? All the ipad/iphone updates will download to C regardless of where the library is. This is completely useless. There should be an option to point temp files for downloaded and unpacked updates too and/or Itunes should enable user to pinpoint custom installation location.

Cant believe it in 2021 we still have such issues.

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 10:48 AM

It may be possible to relocate the device update folder using the same symbolic link redirection method I give in the user tip above for moving backup data. (See https://www.nstec.com/where-software-update-of-itunes-is-saved-in-windows-10/ for storage locations.) That said if your system is so stuffed that an iOS update can bring it down I think you have bigger issues on your hands. You can update iOS devices over the air. I haven't used iTunes for this in years.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 10:48 AM in response to iphonicc

It may be possible to relocate the device update folder using the same symbolic link redirection method I give in the user tip above for moving backup data. (See https://www.nstec.com/where-software-update-of-itunes-is-saved-in-windows-10/ for storage locations.) That said if your system is so stuffed that an iOS update can bring it down I think you have bigger issues on your hands. You can update iOS devices over the air. I haven't used iTunes for this in years.

tt2

Jan 29, 2022 10:26 AM in response to iphonicc

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community. It is the library database and media, along with any device backups, that really take up space. You can (with a bit of work for backups) choose where these live. The app itself is relatively modest. The standalone installer does let you install main application on a different drive, but support components (Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, etc.) always go to the system drive.

tt2

Jan 29, 2022 10:39 AM in response to turingtest2

It is NOT about the library. It is about all therest using space on C drive including all the temporary data like IOS updates. It makes impossible to update iphone/ipad as it needs double the space of the update (download+unpack) just for a couple of minutes. That should be configurable because those can take considerable amount of space and user should be able to choose another big disk - not system volume.

Not able to install Itunes anywhere but system drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.