Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After connecting Apple TV 4K to projector, it doesn't work on any other TV.

I have an Apple TV 4K that is usually hooked up to a 4K TV. I moved it temporarily to an old projector I have and connected it via an HDMI to DVI adapter.

It worked great, but when I put it back on the original TV, it turns the TV on, but I get "no signal" messages from my TV. After trying multiple TVs, cables, etc., I connected it back to the projector and it worked fine there again.

It seems that the Apple TV is stuck in 1024x768 SDR resolution and won't autodetect any other resolution. I tried to reset the Apple TV while connected to the projector, but it still picks up the 1024x768 resolution. I figured that I should be able to unplug it before the final boot, but I'm worried that I might brick it if I unplug at the wrong moment.

I also tried to reset the resolution while connected to the 4K TV by memorizing the menus (since there is no display), but it is not easy to control the menus blindly (e.g. three down, ok, two down , ok, one ip, ok) with Siri remote touch pad and I never seem to be successful.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 2:34 AM

At this time, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 29, 2022 4:51 AM in response to Luis Sanchez

If resolution mismatches cause initial trouble, then you may use the remote key combination (Menu + Volume Down for five seconds) to find a compatible setting. Then fine-tune from there.

If your Apple TV doesn't turn on - Apple Support

● If you see […] a black screen, hold Menu and Volume Down for five seconds, then release them. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.

After connecting Apple TV 4K to projector, it doesn't work on any other TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.