Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restrict Personal Hotspot option via Screen Time

It seems there is no option to completely disable Personal Hotspot or remove it from Settings.

This is a requirement for parents so we can stop our children sharing their mobile data via personal hotspot to other devices in order to bypass screen time restricted we set on their devices.

I have spoken to apple support and they passed the buck to mobile carrier. I have spoken to mobile carrier and they told me this is a setting on the device and they cannot do anything about it, so go figure.

Apple when are you going to stop serving half cooked meals ? you provide a facility to parents to manage their child devices yet you do not cross the t's and dot the i's .... how is this missed ?

I have searched online and there are many parents complaining about the same very thing...

Why we do not have the option to disable "Personal Hotspot" on our child devices ?

And please don't put any links about going to Content and Restrictions > Mobile Data > option ... as that option is only for setting the restriction on managing the list of application which can access mobile data or not.

What we are asking for is plain simple! Give us an option to ENABLE / DISABLE > "PERSONAL HOTSPOT" via screen time settings, so we can deal with smart 12 year olds who bypassing the logic your highly paid genius engineers put in the Screen Time.

iPhone 7

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:29 AM

Thanks, I have submitted a feature request to Apple not sure if it will ever get picked up or not, but I am totally amazed by their engineering team(s) as how they actually missed such a basic requirement it is shocking!

Here is what I sent to feature request portal...

Dear Apple,

I am an IT Consultant with over 25 yr experience and a father of two very smart and well informed boys. 

Recently I have noticed that my oldest son (12 yr) started sharing his mobile data plan by utilising “Personal HotSpot” feature while at home in order to bypass screen time restrictions and the secure home network I’ve built :) 

After my discovery, I was amazed and annoyed then I starting taking a closer look to the features provided by Screen Time, and realised there is currently no way to restrict access to ‘Personal HotSpot’ settings.

How good is parenting feature, if a 12 yr old can easily bypassing it by simply using their phone as a ‘Modem’ ?

Apple please close these kind of loop holes children are easily exploiting to help us parents :)

Kind Regards,

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 5:29 AM in response to LD150

Thanks, I have submitted a feature request to Apple not sure if it will ever get picked up or not, but I am totally amazed by their engineering team(s) as how they actually missed such a basic requirement it is shocking!

Here is what I sent to feature request portal...

Dear Apple,

I am an IT Consultant with over 25 yr experience and a father of two very smart and well informed boys. 

Recently I have noticed that my oldest son (12 yr) started sharing his mobile data plan by utilising “Personal HotSpot” feature while at home in order to bypass screen time restrictions and the secure home network I’ve built :) 

After my discovery, I was amazed and annoyed then I starting taking a closer look to the features provided by Screen Time, and realised there is currently no way to restrict access to ‘Personal HotSpot’ settings.

How good is parenting feature, if a 12 yr old can easily bypassing it by simply using their phone as a ‘Modem’ ?

Apple please close these kind of loop holes children are easily exploiting to help us parents :)

Kind Regards,

Unable to restrict Personal Hotspot option via Screen Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.