Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo metadata lost when transferring to Mac from iCloud or Airdropped from iPhone

Whether I download photos to my Mac from iCloud or transfer them from my iPhone via AirDrop the metadata is lost, especially creation date. Is there a fix? An app that will recognize the metadata and retain it? Thanks.

Mac Monterey 12.1; iPhone SE (2nd gen).

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 7:46 AM

OK, there is an extremely simple, unadvertised feature in airdrop that totally solves the problem. It was buried in one of the links Katrina 1 $.84. Select your photo to be shared; at the top of the page is (and blue) “options.“ Click on that(see photo attached) and then toggle “all phone data” (see second photo attached. Voilà. Problem solved.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 7:46 AM in response to karina184

OK, there is an extremely simple, unadvertised feature in airdrop that totally solves the problem. It was buried in one of the links Katrina 1 $.84. Select your photo to be shared; at the top of the page is (and blue) “options.“ Click on that(see photo attached) and then toggle “all phone data” (see second photo attached. Voilà. Problem solved.

Jan 30, 2022 1:30 PM in response to dmarrduncan

Hello dmarrduncan,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It looks like you're having a question about including metadata when transferring your photos, and we'd be happy to provide some guidance.

To get started, please check out these links:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC

"Some content—including shared albums, smart albums, photo stream content, live photos, some metadata, and photos and videos stored in other folders or locations—is not transferred at all."

Transfer a copy of your iCloud Photos collection to another service

Also, check out the "Apple recommended" section in the following posts:

Losing Metadata when use airdrop

How Do I Move Photos & Retain Metadata?

import photos with metadata !

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Photo metadata lost when transferring to Mac from iCloud or Airdropped from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.