Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when email is opened on ipad boxes appear at the bottom

When I open an email I get boxes at the bottom on my ipad. How do I turn off this feature?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 3:16 PM

Hi JamesArmistead, thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

I wonder if the boxes you are referring to are multiple windows also referred to as 'Shelf' which is included in the Multitasking features of iPadOS as per the following link:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207582

Here is the relevant paragraph in the link which may help resolve your issue:

Use the shelf on your iPad

When you switch to an app that has multiple windows open, the bottom of your iPad screen shows a shelf containing thumbnails of all the app's windows.

Tap one of the thumbnails to open the window. You can also swipe up on a thumbnail in the shelf to close that window. In some apps, you can also open a new window by tapping New Window in the shelf.

You can also contact Apple Support as follows:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 3:16 PM in response to JamesArmistead

Hi JamesArmistead, thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

I wonder if the boxes you are referring to are multiple windows also referred to as 'Shelf' which is included in the Multitasking features of iPadOS as per the following link:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207582

Here is the relevant paragraph in the link which may help resolve your issue:

Use the shelf on your iPad

When you switch to an app that has multiple windows open, the bottom of your iPad screen shows a shelf containing thumbnails of all the app's windows.

Tap one of the thumbnails to open the window. You can also swipe up on a thumbnail in the shelf to close that window. In some apps, you can also open a new window by tapping New Window in the shelf.

You can also contact Apple Support as follows:

when email is opened on ipad boxes appear at the bottom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.