Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk0 unable to Erase or Partition

Please see this, this is a 2015 MacbookPro. Unable to download OSX or erase reformat do anything. I am after how can the Mac be set up to a 100% erased state. I am unable to attach photos but the problem is that internet recovery takes me to Reinstall OSX 10.10 where in “select the disk where you want to install” is a blank screen. So I use Disk Utility - in Disk Utility I see this Disk0 to the left and cannot Erase as all options are grey out and also cannot partition as all options are greyed out

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 7:33 PM

If you are booting to a macOS 10.10 installer, then you need to partition and format the whole physical SSD using the instructions in this article since macOS 10.10 does not understand the newer drive layout or APFS file system used by macOS 10.13+:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

If your laptop uses a third party NVMe SSD, then you will need to boot into a macOS 10.13+ installer since older versions of macOS cannot recognize an NVMe SSD. When booted to a macOS 10.13+ installer you may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical SSD appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). If Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) does not boot the laptop into the macOS 12.x Monterey installer, then you will need to create a bootable macOS 10.13+ USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article (I highly recommend creating a bootable macOS USB installer as it gives you more options if something goes wrong):

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 7:33 PM in response to nirman34

If you are booting to a macOS 10.10 installer, then you need to partition and format the whole physical SSD using the instructions in this article since macOS 10.10 does not understand the newer drive layout or APFS file system used by macOS 10.13+:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

If your laptop uses a third party NVMe SSD, then you will need to boot into a macOS 10.13+ installer since older versions of macOS cannot recognize an NVMe SSD. When booted to a macOS 10.13+ installer you may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical SSD appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). If Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) does not boot the laptop into the macOS 12.x Monterey installer, then you will need to create a bootable macOS 10.13+ USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article (I highly recommend creating a bootable macOS USB installer as it gives you more options if something goes wrong):

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Disk0 unable to Erase or Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.