Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display will not come on if lid was previously closed (possibly a faulty lid angle sensor)

Has anyone encountered this before... how did you fix it? (Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2018 with macOS Monterey v12.2)

Whenever I CLOSE the lid either while awake or in sleep mode or after Shut Down; the computer never turns on with a normal (1-second) battery press nor does it wake when I tap the keyboard or the trackpad when asleep (prior to a Shut Down).

If the lid is left OPEN, then I have no issues coming out of sleep mode.

I suspect lid angle sensor (or the old Hall effect sensor - not sure which one I have) could become damaged or could be a short or missing misconfiguration.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 10:19 AM

Thank you for the information @a brody. When I performed all my tests, I did not have anything plugged into the MacBook Pro except for at times the power adapter.

// Update // I recently performed the reset of my SMC (How to reset the SMC of your Mac - on Apple Support) and have had luck. The issue is no longer happening, but I have performed this reset in the past and the issue has come back. I am going to see what happens over the next 48-hours.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 10:19 AM in response to a brody

Thank you for the information @a brody. When I performed all my tests, I did not have anything plugged into the MacBook Pro except for at times the power adapter.

// Update // I recently performed the reset of my SMC (How to reset the SMC of your Mac - on Apple Support) and have had luck. The issue is no longer happening, but I have performed this reset in the past and the issue has come back. I am going to see what happens over the next 48-hours.

Jan 29, 2022 5:43 PM in response to ajaxborges

I've seen this is especially a problem if anything is hooked up via USB. Energy Saver puts the USB ports in a low powered mode, and peripherals may draw power if they don't have their own.

Before closing the lid make sure nothing more complicated than a mouse or keyboard is hooked up via USB that needs power from the computer. Anything else, it might draw too much power.

Display will not come on if lid was previously closed (possibly a faulty lid angle sensor)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.