Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from a MacBook Air Issues

I am trying to assist a customer who has a MacBook and an issue with connecting to a HP laserjet printer. This is a wireless issue, and her iPhone and my iPhone have no issues printing. This has just cropped up recently, and she has been able to print for a year before. Printer is about a year old.

I have:

1) Turned off the printer; then rejoined the printer to the network

2) Turned off the MacBook, and forgot the network; then rejoined

3) Uninstalled the printer software and reinstalled

4) Powered down the modem/router (comcast standard issue) and powered up

5) Assigned a static IP address to printer

The connection goes in and out. If it does managed to stay connected, then printing can take as long as 4 minutes to get the page printed. Whereas, the iPhone(s) print almost immediately.

I am beginning to think that it may be the comcast issued modem/router. Either it needs replacement OR I could try and create a whole new wireless network and rejoin all devices.

Anyone else had this issue?

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 6:37 AM

Hi,

To begin with, it would help to know the exact HP LaserJet model. Also, the exact macOS version used for the MacBook Air.

Some dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection can cause difficulties. It may become necessary to split/rename 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. A 2.4 GHz-only setting could be used for a test.

You may want to try the following power-cycling sequence:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computer, the iPhone(s), and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on the iPhone(s) and all other devices/computers. Any change?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 6:37 AM in response to Huntsk

Hi,

To begin with, it would help to know the exact HP LaserJet model. Also, the exact macOS version used for the MacBook Air.

Some dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection can cause difficulties. It may become necessary to split/rename 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. A 2.4 GHz-only setting could be used for a test.

You may want to try the following power-cycling sequence:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computer, the iPhone(s), and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on the iPhone(s) and all other devices/computers. Any change?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 30, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan:

Thanks for the response. I am going back to the clients home tomorrow and will note the MacBook OS and the printer model. I had planned on doing what you suggest. Breaking out the 2.4/5 bands as separate. And I am just going to recreate the networks with different names and see if this helps. I will report back then. Thanks again!

Printing from a MacBook Air Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.