Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to use migration assistant to copy data from my old Mac to my new Mac it has been on for two days and still said there is over 100 hours to go

I am trying to transfer data from my old Mac book pro to my new one with migration assistant… has already been on for two days and says need more than 120 hours (and counting ) to do this. If I go to an apple store can they transfer quickly?

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 7:03 AM

possibly. What is the old machine make and model year?

Thunderbolt and Firewire are faster than ethernet, and ethernet faster than wifi.

The destination space should be more than the source by at least 15% the destination total space for a successful transfer.

i.e. 200 GB to transfer can only be done on a 500 GB or larger drive with at least 275 GB free.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 7:03 AM in response to williamfromsauquoit

possibly. What is the old machine make and model year?

Thunderbolt and Firewire are faster than ethernet, and ethernet faster than wifi.

The destination space should be more than the source by at least 15% the destination total space for a successful transfer.

i.e. 200 GB to transfer can only be done on a 500 GB or larger drive with at least 275 GB free.

Mar 1, 2022 3:59 PM in response to wildwoodgad

Yes:

http://www.bombich.com/ Makes a bootable clone, which can then be used in the migration assistant of another Mac.

Keep in mind USB 3.0 and 2.0 are relatively slow. If you have a USB-C capable hard drive that can step down to USB 3.0 you can use on the original. Then the migration can take place at high speeds of USB-C.

If the two Macs already have USB-C, it is faster to transfer direct between the two of them with a USB-C data cable.

I am trying to use migration assistant to copy data from my old Mac to my new Mac it has been on for two days and still said there is over 100 hours to go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.