Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long will it take with Migrate Assistance to transfer 41,268 items from my old Mac to my new one?

How long will it take with Migrate Assistance to transfer 41,268 items from my old Mac to my new one? I’ve waited several hours now and still nothing done

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:06 PM

This would depend on a few things such as if you are using a HDD or an SSD and if you are transferring over wifi or thunderbolt. Thunderbolt would be able to transfer hundreds of gigabytes in under an hour whilst wifi would take many hours. Using thunderbolt will be much faster, so if you have a cable laying around you might want to use that.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 7:06 PM in response to Rambini81

This would depend on a few things such as if you are using a HDD or an SSD and if you are transferring over wifi or thunderbolt. Thunderbolt would be able to transfer hundreds of gigabytes in under an hour whilst wifi would take many hours. Using thunderbolt will be much faster, so if you have a cable laying around you might want to use that.

Jul 4, 2022 7:20 PM in response to Rambini81

Rambini81 Said:

"How long will it take with Migrate Assistance to transfer 41,268 items from my old Mac to my new one? I’ve waited several hours now and still nothing done"

-------

Safely Using Migration Assistant:

Timespan would depends on the side of the files (iTunes Movies are in the GBs), and then health of the drive. Overheating may be of high-concern. So, while you are performing this, place the hard drive atop a laptop cooler to keep it cool and avoid overheating.

How long will it take with Migrate Assistance to transfer 41,268 items from my old Mac to my new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.