Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep my photos in the cloud while deleting them off my device to free up space on my device

I want my photos to stay in the cloud once I have deleted them off my iPhone, is there a way to do this?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:53 PM

No there is not. iCloud photo is a synchronization service, not archival storage. Any changes on any device using your iCloud photo account will be sync’d across all devices and in iCloud. That includes deletions.

You can store photos on a computer and then delete them to keep photos and free up space on your device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 4:53 PM in response to moonstonemeg

No there is not. iCloud photo is a synchronization service, not archival storage. Any changes on any device using your iCloud photo account will be sync’d across all devices and in iCloud. That includes deletions.

You can store photos on a computer and then delete them to keep photos and free up space on your device.

How do I keep my photos in the cloud while deleting them off my device to free up space on my device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.