Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Lines while writing on Ipad

How do I resolve this? I have been having the same issue of having random lines while taking notes on the iPad Pro 12.9 4th Generation.

Here is an example.

Its so frustrating when I have to erase these random lines every single time I write a word. Other than using notability I have tested it on procreate and the same issue occurs.

I have tried to troubleshoot by:

• reconnecting the apple pencil
  • unable "Zoom" in settings
  • turning on and off palm rejection
  • reinstalling the apps
  • removing the screen protector
  • buying new tips for the pencil
  • changing to a new pencil
  • changing to a new ipad

seriously how do I resolve this? and what is the cause of the issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 9:11 AM

Hi,

I finally found what was the issue.

After changing to a new iPad or a now Apple Pencil, after buying new Apple Pencil tips, after removing my screen protector, after re downloading apps and updating, after rebooting the iPad, I finally found the solution.

It wasn't any of those things that caused the issues.

The iPad itself has issues with grounding. Whenever I have those random lines, I would I need to touch the metals parts of the iPad to ensure that it is grounded and the random lines would stop occurring.

thank you.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Erica_S1

Hi,

I finally found what was the issue.

After changing to a new iPad or a now Apple Pencil, after buying new Apple Pencil tips, after removing my screen protector, after re downloading apps and updating, after rebooting the iPad, I finally found the solution.

It wasn't any of those things that caused the issues.

The iPad itself has issues with grounding. Whenever I have those random lines, I would I need to touch the metals parts of the iPad to ensure that it is grounded and the random lines would stop occurring.

thank you.

Feb 4, 2022 4:02 AM in response to Erica_S1

Hey Erica,

Yes I have tried tried writing on notes too and the issue persists.

I have tried to redownloading the app too. Its not only on one app it happens on apps such as notability and procreate.

I also tried trouble shooting following the instruction by notability but it didn't help at all. (https://support.gingerlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054114791-Random-Lines-while-Writing-with-Apple-Pencil)

Thank you for the advice Erica.

Feb 1, 2022 7:23 AM in response to khrl

Hi there khrl,

We understand you're seeing lines when using your Apple Pencil with your iPad.

You've done some great troubleshooting steps so far!

Since this issue persists with a different Apple Pencil and iPad, do you also notice this in built-in Apple apps, such as Notes?

If this only occurs with installed third-party apps, it sounds like you've completed most of the steps here: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

For additional support with the lines when using the Apple Pencil in these third-party apps, reach out to the app developer for further assistance: How to contact an app developer

We hope this helps.

Random Lines while writing on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.