Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data recovery from MacBook Pro 2018 Model

Hi,

Recently I had charging issue with my MacBook Pro (2018 model) and upon diagnosing, I was informed that the motherboard was dead as it was not taking power in and it required replacement. Is there any way that we recover the data from this model of MacBook?

I am located in India and I am just looking for some expert support in retrieving the data from this dead motherboard. Any inputs or help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 7:00 PM

Apple or an AASP requires a T2 Mac to power on into DFU mode in order to attempt to access the data on the hardware encrypted SSD. This requires the Logic Board to have a working USB-C port and T2 security chip since there is no lifeboat connector on the 2018+ T2 Macs.

If Apple or an AASP is unable to recover the data, then you can try to have a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or OnTrack attempt to recover the data (or ask Apple or the AASP for an approved data recovery service in your region), but to do so they will need to attempt to fix the Logic Board since they also require a working Logic Board to recover the hardware encrypted data. Both vendors provide free estimates and both are recommended by Apple. Another option is to see if an independent repair shop is able to repair the Logic Board, but unfortunately some of the components are not available since Apple prevents the component manufacturers from selling these parts to anyone but Apple. Plus not all techs are able to properly read & interpret board schematics or have the proper soldering skills so this is an extremely risky option.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external media which contains important and unique data. The more important the data, the more copies of the data you should have.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 7:00 PM in response to gopu13

Apple or an AASP requires a T2 Mac to power on into DFU mode in order to attempt to access the data on the hardware encrypted SSD. This requires the Logic Board to have a working USB-C port and T2 security chip since there is no lifeboat connector on the 2018+ T2 Macs.

If Apple or an AASP is unable to recover the data, then you can try to have a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or OnTrack attempt to recover the data (or ask Apple or the AASP for an approved data recovery service in your region), but to do so they will need to attempt to fix the Logic Board since they also require a working Logic Board to recover the hardware encrypted data. Both vendors provide free estimates and both are recommended by Apple. Another option is to see if an independent repair shop is able to repair the Logic Board, but unfortunately some of the components are not available since Apple prevents the component manufacturers from selling these parts to anyone but Apple. Plus not all techs are able to properly read & interpret board schematics or have the proper soldering skills so this is an extremely risky option.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external media which contains important and unique data. The more important the data, the more copies of the data you should have.

Jan 31, 2022 8:51 AM in response to gopu13

gopu13 wrote:

Hi,

Recently I had charging issue with my MacBook Pro (2018 model) and upon diagnosing, I was informed that the motherboard was dead as it was not taking power in and it required replacement. Is there any way that we recover the data from this model of MacBook?

I am located in India and I am just looking for some expert support in retrieving the data from this dead motherboard. Any inputs or help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Typically not waiting for a catastrophic failure of some sort to have a robust back-up plan in place....

The T2 chip causes major issues here (Secure Enclave/FileVault/ etc.) in trying to recover data—

It seems if it is just a charging failure, the Apple/AASP and their specialty tools maybe able to retrieve the data...

If Apple can not do this on the backbench, then more than likely your data is lost.

Other professional data recovery service such as:

Ontrack Data a Professional Data Recovery Service: https://www.ontrack.com/

Drive Savers https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

vendors provide free estimates and both are recommended by Apple.

Always best to work from a copy, you do not want to risk further damage the original files or drive.

There are not many shops doing board level repairs—

There is a special (Lifeboat) connector on the Logic Board of the 2016-2017 MBPros which an AASP can use a special blackbox device to attempt to access the SSD's data.

A 2018+ MBPro with a T2 chip is less likely to have the data recovered since it must be able to be put into a DFU restore mode where an AASP must use a special service utility to read the data from the SSD.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Feb 1, 2022 5:20 AM in response to gopu13

I've already listed your options to attempt data recovery. One of the professional data recovery services listed previously (or ask Apple or the AASP for one for your region especially if you will want Apple to fix the laptop after the attempted data recovery). Or you will need to find an independent technician/repair shop that specializes in Apple Logic Board repairs to attempt to fix the Logic Board at least just enough to recover the data, but there are not too many technicians/repair shops that are actually knowledgable and capable of such a repair. Even if a tech/repair shop is capable, they may be hampered by not being able to purchase the necessary components to actually fix the Logic Board since Apple prevents the parts manufacturers from selling parts to anyone but Apple. I would highly recommend you take the first option since it is so difficult to find a tech that actually knows how to repair an Apple Logic Board.

If you want Apple to ever repair this laptop for you, then you definitely need to work with Apple or the AASP to send the laptop/Logic Board to the professional data recovery service, otherwise Apple may never repair the laptop.

If, however, the T2 security chip is damaged or corrupted, then there will be absolutely no way to retrieve the data since the T2 security chip stores the encryption keys to the hardware encrypted data on the SSD.

Good luck.

Data recovery from MacBook Pro 2018 Model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.