Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple ID's?

Hello. When we got our first ipad and ipod touch they were for my son. I created an apple ID and this is my primary email. So its my (the adult) apple ID. It's what I use for Apple Music. My son has used this apple ID for his Apple devices over the years. So all of his pictures and things seem to be attached to this Apple ID. I have since created a new apple ID for him, but when we tried to sign him out of my apple ID on his device and sign in with the Child Apple ID we created, all of his photos, games etc were not there. Also, it seems to be linked in other ways. At one time, my gmail account was even logged in his ipod touch but I seem to have disabled that !!! As well, the two factor authentifcation etc. ---> instead of coming to my personal device(an Android) , it goes to his ipod touch or his ipad mini. So he is the one who has to verify /authorize purchases, for my other son, who has a child account set up properly with his own child apple ID. Is there any way to fix this, so that he is logged in with his own Apple ID but has everything up until now associated with my apple ID?

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 6:56 PM

Sign back in with your ID and let everything sync back to the device. When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. If possible, also set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 6:56 PM in response to Gardenista777

Sign back in with your ID and let everything sync back to the device. When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. If possible, also set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

apple ID's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.