Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate itunes library to music & tv apps

Since the creation of Apple Music and tv app I have just being linking the libraries to the old iTunes library but realise this is a bit messy.

the music library is ok because I can point the music app to the music folder in my iTunes library but the tv app is where it gets messy because I have to point it to the iTunes media folder because there are separate folders in the iTunes library for tv shows and movies?

what is the best way to migrate or recreate new libraries for music and tv apps and ditch the old iTunes library.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 10:03 AM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for general advice.

Once you have Music & TV up and running you can reset their respective media folders to the default paths i.e. ~/Music/Music/Media and ~/Movies/TV/Media and consolidate the media, then clean up the original content from the old iTunes Media folder. This assumes that you have the space to temporarily double up on this storage.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Moch63

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for general advice.

Once you have Music & TV up and running you can reset their respective media folders to the default paths i.e. ~/Music/Music/Media and ~/Movies/TV/Media and consolidate the media, then clean up the original content from the old iTunes Media folder. This assumes that you have the space to temporarily double up on this storage.

tt2

Feb 2, 2022 2:21 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply, that’s a strange path for tv & movies? So ATV app stores all movies and tv shows in the media folder?

I think I would put a movie & tv folder inside the media folder or maybe that’s what it does?

also the music/music/media. why not just music/media?

what happens to the iTunes xml & itl files etc, does it create alternatives?

don’t have the space at the moment to double up but am planning a new nas drive which is what got me thinking of tidying things up and ditching the old iTunes structure if it’s not really intended to be used that way anymore.

migrate itunes library to music & tv apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.