You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume hash mismatch problems

I'm having a lot of problems with my iMac Pro continually crashing over the last couple of weeks. It seems to be associated with a 'volume hash mismatch' message.

I got through to Apple support just the once (all the other times said it wasn't available). They advised to upgrade to the latest OS. This solved the problem for a few days but now it's come back again.

They also said that if the upgrade didn't help, I'd need to reinstall the OS. I'm a bit nervous about doing this but I've got everything backed up in Time Machine on an external disc.

My questions are...

1. Does anyone have any other advice on things I could try before reinstalling the OS?

1. Does anyone have any really simple step-by-step instructions on how to reinstall the OS and not lose any data?

Thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 5:12 AM

I ended up having to take it in for repair. They couldn't resolve the problem and ended up having the hard drive/fusion drive replaced, and also one of the 16GB Ram chips. It's all been a bit of a saga, not helped by my trying to follow duff advice to reformat the original drive. Just hoping (praying) that the hash mismatch error message doesn't reappear. Although I'm not 100% confident...

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 5:12 AM in response to drstir

I ended up having to take it in for repair. They couldn't resolve the problem and ended up having the hard drive/fusion drive replaced, and also one of the 16GB Ram chips. It's all been a bit of a saga, not helped by my trying to follow duff advice to reformat the original drive. Just hoping (praying) that the hash mismatch error message doesn't reappear. Although I'm not 100% confident...

Mar 1, 2022 7:21 AM in response to drstir

It is a shame that this is happening and you have to go through all of this to get it resolved. I am only a Mac user for a year and talked my husband into getting one too. We loved it at first, but I have had constant issues with one thing or another. Now, I have to go through this "Volume has mismatch" resolution. Better technical efficiency and support is needed that's for sure.

Volume hash mismatch problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.