Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K external monitor flickers and flashes vertical lines when playing video on full screen

Dell S3221QS monitor flickers and shows vertical lines when playing video on full screen, using original Dell HDMI cable. Do you have any solutions for this issue?

Specs below:

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 10:28 AM

Hello c_luc9,

thank you for your reply, I found the very same article yesterday and tried out a few things it mentions, and ordered a few cables.

Happy to say that I've found a branded Thunderbolt 3 - DisplayPort lead that does the trick, the flickering and the stripes are gone.

The important bit in the product description when ordering is this: 4K@144Hz/120Hz 5K@60Hz 2K@240Hz Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort HBR3 32.4Gbps Type C DP 1.4 for M1 MacBook Pro 2021 Mac Mini Dell XPS 2M/6.6Ft VESA Certified

So it does matter what cable you're using. I tried a high speed 8K HDMI cable as well, but to no avail.

Kind regards,

Pal

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 10:28 AM in response to c_luc9

Hello c_luc9,

thank you for your reply, I found the very same article yesterday and tried out a few things it mentions, and ordered a few cables.

Happy to say that I've found a branded Thunderbolt 3 - DisplayPort lead that does the trick, the flickering and the stripes are gone.

The important bit in the product description when ordering is this: 4K@144Hz/120Hz 5K@60Hz 2K@240Hz Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort HBR3 32.4Gbps Type C DP 1.4 for M1 MacBook Pro 2021 Mac Mini Dell XPS 2M/6.6Ft VESA Certified

So it does matter what cable you're using. I tried a high speed 8K HDMI cable as well, but to no avail.

Kind regards,

Pal

Feb 2, 2022 10:16 AM in response to eharit

Hello eharit,

Thanks for reaching out to us in Apple Support Communities about having issues with your external monitor. We're happy to help by looking into this more! 

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac - Apple Support

You and also isolate the issue by trying a different cable, and adapter. If you still have issues, try connecting your monitor to another computer to see if you have the same issue. If you have another monitor available, you might also connect your Mac to it to see if the same thing happens.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

4K external monitor flickers and flashes vertical lines when playing video on full screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.