Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro microphone distorted on Mac

First: there is a very similar post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251776613?login=true

However, the answers there were not helpful in my case.

My AirPods Pro work perfectly fine with my iPhone and iPad. But when I e.g. record a voice memo on my MacBook Pro, the recording sounds very distorted/robotic and the same happens in video calls with different tools.

The air pods are up to date and I've reset them and updated my mac to the latest software. The fact that the AirPods Pro work on my iPhone would also suggest that there is not hardware problem and the fact that it happens for voice recording as well would rule out internet connection issues.

So I'm curious, is this a macOS issue and is this already known?

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 12:39 AM

specktast Said:

"AirPods Pro microphone distorted on Mac: [...]The fact that the AirPods Pro work on my iPhone would also suggest that there is not hardware problem and the fact that it happens for voice recording as well would rule out internet connection issues. So I'm curious, is this a macOS issue and is this already known?"

-------

An Active Noise Cancellation Error is what this is. Apparently, this it as issue with the AirPods themselves. There is a replacement program for it. See here: AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues - Apple Support. So, contact Apple Support, seeing if you can replace it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 12:39 AM in response to specktast

specktast Said:

"AirPods Pro microphone distorted on Mac: [...]The fact that the AirPods Pro work on my iPhone would also suggest that there is not hardware problem and the fact that it happens for voice recording as well would rule out internet connection issues. So I'm curious, is this a macOS issue and is this already known?"

-------

An Active Noise Cancellation Error is what this is. Apparently, this it as issue with the AirPods themselves. There is a replacement program for it. See here: AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues - Apple Support. So, contact Apple Support, seeing if you can replace it.

Mar 24, 2022 9:58 AM in response to specktast

What I eventually found out is, that the issue only occurred when I was using my (Logitech) bluetooth mouse; directly coupled to my MacBook Pro via Bluetooth.

What "fixed" it for me was to switch the mouse from direct bluetooth to the USB-bluetooth adapter which now uselessly uses up one of my USB ports but therefore I can use my AirPods again.

Seems that that without, the two devices cause interference when both connected directly to the MacBook.

Mar 24, 2022 6:27 AM in response to specktast

Hi, I have the same issue here. A few weeks ago everything worked fine. Now, the sound of the AirPod Pro's microphone sounds like Darth Vader while using them on my MacBook Pro. There is no issue while using them on iPhone or iPad.

Apple already replaced my AirPod Pros last year within the service program because of sound issues. So, these new AirPod Pros should not have this problem, shouldn't they? Has anyone another idea for a resolution?

AirPods Pro microphone distorted on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.