Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch OS 8.4.1 reintroduced charging issue

I was so happy when I read that Watch OS 8.4 fixed the charging issue I had for an extended period. And it worked.

But yesterday's update to watch OS 8.4.1 brought it back again. Sad story. I hope it will soon be fixed again.

I have Apple watch 5 and the issue makes it impossible to use the charging station I have by my bed. The watch makes the sound for “charging started” repeatedly, keeping me from sleeping.

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 11:39 PM

Did you already force restart the 'Apple Watch?

Restart Apple Watch - Apple Support

Did you try to reinstall watchOS 8.4.1 by unpairing it and setting it up as new device?

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I never noticed this charing issue on my Apple Watch 5 in the previous watchOS versions

7 replies

Feb 6, 2022 10:18 PM in response to Thor_DK

Unfortunately, reinstalling my watch completely did not help. The repeated “charging started” sound is back. So for me, at least, the charging issue is definitely back again in Watch OS 8.4.1.

I have to charge my watch in another room again.

I wish it is possible to revert to Watch OS 8.4 and patiently wait for the update preceding 8.4.1.

Feb 7, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Thor_DK

Problem is this started over 2 months ago from when any AW7 owner had a whole month of leaving the usb c charging cable in the box it came in and just paired it and charged it in any room and with any charger as you had with all previous series watches iPhones USB a charger. Then 8.3 came along and stopped this for me. It has got progressively worse with 8.4 admitting it would put this 8.3 fault right but did not and even brought more cases and now as you say 8.4.1 has compounded the problem.

AW7 owners now have had to buy at least 1 usb c wall charger to have the one and only charging unit to charge the watch and move it round the house and levels. Not what we were told when we bought the AW7

Watch OS 8.4.1 reintroduced charging issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.