Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect User's account to previous data volume, prior to incident

Mac OS 12.2 on M1 Mac Mini

User 'Graeme' has his data volume on an external SSD set to '/Volumes/2TBHD/MovedUsers/Graeme'

SSD got disconnected from the machine. Machine was rebooted, user 'Graeme' tried to log in but was presented with 'You are unable to login to the user account 'Graeme' at this time' popup.

Reconnected the SSD. Restarted machine. User Graeme was able to log in, but the user profile was 'refreshed' from scratch - i.e. on login Mac OS asked me to log in with Apple ID, set Accessibility preferences etc. Starting any installed applications (which I would have previously installed 'for all users') they run like it is the first time they have been opened.

On the /Volumes I see that user 'Graeme' has data volume as '/Volumes/2TBHD/MovedUsers/graeme' BUT all the 'old' user Graeme's files etc are now showing as in '/Volumes/2TBHD 1/MovedUsers/graeme'

How can I change the mount point(?) of the data location for the user Graeme, so machine will start up user with the correct Library/Applications/Preferences etc.?

Can I remove/rename '2TBHD', and rename '2TBHD 1' back to '2TBHD' with much confidence, chance of success?

I have an Administrator user available. I have already run Disk Utility First Aid on the SSD, which did some repairs, but still user 'Graeme' is connected to wrong mount point.

Thanks

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 5:03 AM

Is there also an entry in /volumes named 2TBHD with the external SSD disconnected?

Phantom mouth points can occur when a drive drops off like that. The old name is retained Call Alma but it is actually just a folder now.

Once you’ve resolve that you can go in endpoint is home folder to that external drive folder again

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 5:03 AM in response to Graeme1975

Is there also an entry in /volumes named 2TBHD with the external SSD disconnected?

Phantom mouth points can occur when a drive drops off like that. The old name is retained Call Alma but it is actually just a folder now.

Once you’ve resolve that you can go in endpoint is home folder to that external drive folder again

Feb 3, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the pointers - I had not heard of "phantom mount points" before, but searching for that term also helped me. Indeed /2TBHD did exist even if SSD disconnected - Mac OS had created it on the local Macintosh HDD.

So, I disconnected SSD

Logged in as Admin

Opened Finder to /Volumes

Renamed 2TBHD to 2TBHDPhantom

Shutdown

Connected SSD

Restarted

Logged In as Admin

Confirm SSD is attached/visible in Disk Utility

Preferences - Users and Groups

Right-Click user 'Graeme'

Re-Confirmed Home Directory as .../2TBHD/...Graeme

Shutdown

Restart

Login as Graeme

Takes a while...but bingo, user is reconnected to the correct mount point / volume and all preferences/files are re-available to the profile.

Connecting to Apple ID takes a few attempts but all back to normal Phew

Cheers dude!

How to connect User's account to previous data volume, prior to incident

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.