Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local account resets sporadically on login

With no predictable frequency, on login, my existing account will not be recognized, and MacOS will attempt to create a new account, like if I was logging in for the first time.

I'll explain the configuration. I host only one admin account on the built-in SSD storage: recovery. I use it for that purpose only, and I've been using it more frequently than I would like. Home directory - /Users/recovery.

I have a PCIe 2TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (480 GB x 4 SSD) in a JBOD configuration for all other user accounts. I've allocated two APFS (Case-sensitive) volumes:

1) Admin-level user (no quota; my account). Mount point - /Volumes/UserA. UserA account profile is configured to use this as the home directory. Symlink /Users/UserA points to /Volumes/UserA

2) Non-admin user (660 GB quota) - /Volumes/UserB. UserB account profile is configured to use this as the home directory. Symlink /Users/UserB points to /Volumes/UserB.

The behavior I am about to describe happens with both accounts, but more frequently observed with UserA than UserB, just because UserA is on more frequently. For about 70-80% of the successful login attempts, login works as expected and UserA logs in and loads the home directory of /Volumes/UserA. When it doesn't work, UserA login beings the account initialization process, as though I am logging in for the first time. After this happened the first couple of times, I learned it is just best to quickly skip through the steps (skip iCloud login, etc), then immediately log out and begin remediation.

To remediate, I log into the recovery account. When I look in the /Volumes/ directory, now there is a new directory there, /Volumes/UserA 1, which is actually the APFS volume that is supposed to mount at /Volumes/UserA. /Volumes/UserA is now a new folder. To correct, I delete /Volumes/UserA, unmount the APFS volume that is supposed to mount at /Volumes/UserA, remount the APFS volume, and now the APFS volume is correctly remounted to /Volumes/UserA. I log out of recovery and restart.

After restarting, I attempt login to my account again, and normally it works without issue. I think I've had 1-2 instances where the problem repeated, and I had to go through the remediation steps again.

I cannot figure out a pattern of what causes this. I've had it happen when I logged in immediately after starting, and some times it's happened hours after I powered on the computer. I do not know where in the log files to look for any information that I can use to diagnose the issue, and searching the log files in Console app for "Volumes" and "UserA" haven't returned any results.

MacPro 2019, MacOS 12.6. I should also note this hasn't been the behavior since I bought the MacPro in late-2020. It only started happening in the past few months. I can't say for certain it started after I installed MacOS 12.3/12.4 or not, but I seem to remember it starting around that time. Problem persists through MacOS 12.6.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 10:56 AM

This appears to be a new development with macOS 12.5.1 updates as seen in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254143123?answerId=257878002022

FYI, using non-default setups are always at risk of breaking because Apple only tests default configurations. Personally I would never put my user account on an external drive because external drives will go ready at different times compared to internal drives. Just because you are using a fast external SSD, does not mean that drive will go ready in time during boot since the internal SSD will usually be much faster. Plus other connected external devices can cause delays in communicating with external drives and in some cases may even prevent some external drives from working properly (seems to be a coin toss with each point release of Monterey). If you put the home user folder on an external drive, then definitely make sure to keep at least one admin user account on the internal drive so that macOS will boot normally if the external drive is not ready.

Also, be careful with Case-Sensitive volumes on macOS as once again that is a custom configuration. Many app developers will not be thinking about users have a Case-Sensitive file system. Plus when you try to transfer a lot of items back to a Case-Insensitive file system you may find a lot of "duplicate" names which may be difficult & time consuming to fix. Yes, I know a small number of people may need to utilize a Case Sensitive file system (especially for developing multi-platform apps), but most people should stick with the default Case-InSensitive file system. Just be aware of the risks involved.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 10:56 AM in response to georgeunperson

This appears to be a new development with macOS 12.5.1 updates as seen in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254143123?answerId=257878002022

FYI, using non-default setups are always at risk of breaking because Apple only tests default configurations. Personally I would never put my user account on an external drive because external drives will go ready at different times compared to internal drives. Just because you are using a fast external SSD, does not mean that drive will go ready in time during boot since the internal SSD will usually be much faster. Plus other connected external devices can cause delays in communicating with external drives and in some cases may even prevent some external drives from working properly (seems to be a coin toss with each point release of Monterey). If you put the home user folder on an external drive, then definitely make sure to keep at least one admin user account on the internal drive so that macOS will boot normally if the external drive is not ready.

Also, be careful with Case-Sensitive volumes on macOS as once again that is a custom configuration. Many app developers will not be thinking about users have a Case-Sensitive file system. Plus when you try to transfer a lot of items back to a Case-Insensitive file system you may find a lot of "duplicate" names which may be difficult & time consuming to fix. Yes, I know a small number of people may need to utilize a Case Sensitive file system (especially for developing multi-platform apps), but most people should stick with the default Case-InSensitive file system. Just be aware of the risks involved.

Local account resets sporadically on login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.