Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD Formatted APFS Changes Owner Automagically

Greetings!

Setting up a new-to-me 2020 iMac refurb and because it came with a minuscule internal SSD (1/4 TB) I've stuck an external SSD (2 TB) on the back of the machine. I'm perfectly willing to boot up from the internal drive, keep my applications there, and keep my original admin account there too (if the external drive quits I want to be able to boot).

I've managed to set four accounts and move the Shared folder:

admin @ /Users/admin

user1 @ /Volumes/BigUsers/user1 pointed to by the symbolic link /Users/user1

user2 @ /Volumes/BigUsers/user2 pointed to by the symbolic link /Users/user2

user3 @ /Volumes/BigUsers/user3 pointed to by the symbolic link /Users/user3

Shared @ /Volumes/BigUsers/Shared pointed to by the symbolic link /Users/Shared

Plus I've set the Home directories for users 1, 2, and 3 so they point directly to the folders on /Volumes/BigUsers (thinking... I bet I don't need those symlinks). I did set the symlinks via the command line. [special note: I just now deleted all four symlinks and rebooted, but it didn't help]

Order of operations after setting up admin account:

1. Logged in as admin, create a user (let's use user1 for this example).
  2. Log out then log in as user1.
  3. User1 copies their home directory from /Users to /Volumes/BigUsers (this sets correct ownership and permissions on BigUsers/user1).
  4. Log out then log in as admin.
  5. Change user1's Home directory to /Volumes/BigUsers/user1.
  6. Log out then log in as user1.
  7. In Finder see that /Users/user1 has an ordinary folder icon, not the special one.
  8. In Finder see that /Volumes/BigUser/user1 does have that special folder icon, and that owner and group is correct.
  9. Delete the folder /Users/user1 and everything within it.
  10. Test that user's Home directory works.
  11. Repeat for the other users.

If I remember correctly, this did work. Then I added the symlinks and boom! Problem happens (or maybe it was something else, but this is what I remember, or maybe I remembered it wrong and the problem always existed (that is, I didn't look at ownership of folders I wasn't working on)).

THE PROBLEM:

/Volumes/BigUsers (the external SSD, which is formatted APFS) and all files and folders within, "automagically" take the userID and groupID of whichever user/admin happens to be logged in. Command line tools chown and chgrp don't do a **** thing--they pretend to work, but do nothing.

Extended attributes for BigUsers is "purgeable-drecs-fixed" but there are no extended attributes for user Home folders or Shared. Should I delete this? Note, it'd be pretty sweet to remove the easy drive dismount from the desktop and finder (dismount via Disk Utility or diskutil is perfectly fine).

HELP! This "automagic" behavior is pure crap. APFS should be APFS should be APFS, no matter what drive it is on. How do I fix this?

Thanks a million,

Scotty

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 7:47 AM

THE PROBLEM:
/Volumes/BigUsers (the external SSD, which is formatted APFS) and all files and folders within, "automagically" take the userID and groupID of whichever user/admin happens to be logged in. Command line tools chown and chgrp don't do a **** thing--they pretend to work, but do nothing.

Is the drive set to Ignore Ownership? I have seen that behavior when the drive is set to ignore ownership. It must be set to have permissions enabled to use it as a home folder. I've also seen the same thing appear for permissions when using a non-permission enabled file system, like ExFAT.

And, yes, the symlinks are not necessary. I'm not sure how they would be the problem, though. Could be something weird with APFS.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 7:47 AM in response to ScottyDM_com

THE PROBLEM:

Is the drive set to Ignore Ownership? I have seen that behavior when the drive is set to ignore ownership. It must be set to have permissions enabled to use it as a home folder. I've also seen the same thing appear for permissions when using a non-permission enabled file system, like ExFAT.

And, yes, the symlinks are not necessary. I'm not sure how they would be the problem, though. Could be something weird with APFS.

External SSD Formatted APFS Changes Owner Automagically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.