Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove "Unknown Part" message on iPhone?

I have iphone mini 12. I recently broke the screen and, for speed, got a non apple screen replacement which is fine - I then got a 'unknown part' message in settings which I have read a number of times but cannot get rid of the notification on screen about the message - can anyone help - it is really annoying!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:52 AM

Sorry - one last check - thank you for your patience - are you saying i have to live with this forever! Enough to make me buy a samsung!

17 replies

Feb 3, 2022 8:47 AM in response to applecomm33

You will never be able to get rid of that.

The only way to get rid of it would be to have the display replaced by Apple or an authorized service provider with a genuine Apple display.

It is unlikely in the extreme that they will agree to do so now that your phone has been tampered with.

You will have to live with it, or buy a new phone.

Feb 3, 2022 8:16 AM in response to applecomm33

The message will eventually go away, but you can't stop the message. Understand the speed part, but when you let a 3rd party replace parts on your iPhone, they don't have access to authentic parts and Apple can and often will refuse to provide support to a device which has non-authentic parts installed and certain features, such as FaceID and True Tone often no longer work on devices with 3rd party parts.

Apr 16, 2022 8:54 AM in response to garvinIII71

garvinIII71 wrote:
“Tampered with”? Seems the screen was repaired.

It's not the kind of language that Apple would use to describe it. They're far more diplomatic and non-judgmental about it. My understanding is that Apple's primary concern would be if third-party repairs were botched where something other than the screen assembly might be damaged.

Legal - General Service - Apple
1.11.6 Disclosure of Unauthorized Modifications. During the service ordering process, you must notify Apple of any unauthorized modifications, or any repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”), that have been made to your product. Apple will not be responsible for any damage to the product that occurs during the repair process that is a result of any unauthorized modifications or repairs or replacements not performed by Apple or an AASP. If damage results, Apple will seek your authorization for any additional costs for completing service even if the product is covered by warranty or an AppleCare service plan. If you decline authorization, Apple may return your product unrepaired in the damaged condition without any responsibility.

Feb 3, 2022 8:43 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Sorry - I am not being clear - there was a message daily for 3 days which then disappeared but now I have a constant alert/notifications on 'settings' as though I have never read the 'important display message'. I click on settings/ read the message and then close settings. Despite this I cannot get rid of the red icon circle with a 1 in it informing me there is an unread message in settings - despite reading the message over and over! This is what i need to go please - if possible- or if it goes on own how long until it goes!!

Sorry for not explaining!

Feb 3, 2022 9:00 AM in response to applecomm33

applecomm33 wrote:

Sorry - one last check - thank you for your patience - are you saying i have to live with this forever! Enough to make me buy a samsung!
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e98fce11-fb34-46f2-ae55-fb5a05106d2b

Yes. That's what happens when you have an unauthorized party put knockoff/counterfeit/salvaged parts in your phone.

How to remove "Unknown Part" message on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.