Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch six pauses workouts if you have tattoos.

I had an Apple Watch 2 and it tracked my workouts for 4 years with no problems even though I have sleeve tattoos on both arms. Now I get an Apple Watch 6 and they have gone backwards and it is no longer functional with tattoos. Surely they have not had their technology get more primitive the last few years. Has anyone else had the worthless watch problem?

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 1:47 PM

The reality is that since the introduction of Apple Watch, tattoos and Apple Watch are not good friends. There are more sophisticated sensors in the newer watches (what you seem to think is more primitive technology - which isn't at all), that don't play well with tattoos. There's little Apple or anyone for that matter can do about the ink in your arms interfering with these more delicate and sophisticated sensors.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 1:47 PM in response to MadDucks

The reality is that since the introduction of Apple Watch, tattoos and Apple Watch are not good friends. There are more sophisticated sensors in the newer watches (what you seem to think is more primitive technology - which isn't at all), that don't play well with tattoos. There's little Apple or anyone for that matter can do about the ink in your arms interfering with these more delicate and sophisticated sensors.

Feb 3, 2022 2:20 PM in response to MadDucks

I have the same issue with an apple watch Series 7 that i just bought i have several tattoos on my left wrist where i normally use the watch on, it took me like a month of troubleshooting to find out the tattoos were the issue because all of the apple tech support and customer service were saying that the tattoos shouldn't be an issue

Had to find out the hard way that its not compatible with tattooed wrists

Feb 4, 2022 12:10 PM in response to MadDucks

Comparing the sensors in a watch from 2016, which have little in common with the sensors in the newer, much more sophisticated watches isn't a reasonable comparison. And as mentioned, since Apple Watch was originally released, it has been well documented that tattooed sleeves and Apple Watch are not good friends.

Simply google Apple Watch and Tattooed Sleeves and you'll see loads of articles telling you it's at best problematic.

Apple Watch six pauses workouts if you have tattoos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.