Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I have imported a MP4 video from my Sony video camera to my Macbook and it shows up in the finder with the correct date and time. However when I import this to Photos the date and time has been altered to 13 hours in advance. Any clues?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 4:41 PM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2022 2:44 AM in response to wuzz1

Where have you been, when you imported the video?

As videos do not have an exif tag with the date and time and timezone, your Mac has to guess the timezone the camera clock has been set to. usually Photos will use the timezone of the current system time of your Mac when it sets the timezone for the capture time of a photo or video, unless the item has GPS coordinates assigned.

you can see the timezone set by Photos, if you select the video in Photos, then go to the menu "Image > Adjust Date & Time". At the bottom of this panel you will see the time zone strip for the date &time of this video, as well as the closest city.

Feb 4, 2022 12:27 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the reply. The time and the zone on the. Camera is set to my area, same as the computer. The odd thing is the time is correct when I imported the video to the computer and opened the video with quicktime from finder, then checked the info of the file, but when imported to photos, the video time stamp is exactly 13 hours ahead in photos. Checking the file info back in finder, the time and date is correct. I am suspicious of the figure 13 hours, because where I am in New Zealand we are 13 hours ahead of GMT. Does that make any sense?

Feb 5, 2022 1:19 AM in response to wuzz1

Hi, Thanks for your reply. My time zone is set to New Zealand Daylight time and Region is New Zealand. I must say this anomaly only occurs when importing from my Sony handycam. Today I checked importing a photo from my Canon DSLR and that was fine. The Sony camera is set to my time zone and the GPS operation locates the camera correctly.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.